• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

One and Done Hunting Rifle

A rem 700 or clone in a carbon stock from manners with a hunting contour carbon barrel is probably about as light as you can get. I think Kelbys makes a titanium 700 action that can lighten up some weight.

The one and done caliber would probably be 300 win mag. Readily-ish available in factory loadings. Recoil gonna suck but whatevs.

Optics wise I would look pretty heavily at March. They have done lightweight and durable very well for over a decade now. You won't be giving up much in glass quality compared to a TT/schmidty. Find a lightweight mount and base. GTG

A rem 700 or clone in a carbon stock from manners with a hunting contour carbon barrel is probably about as light as you can get. I think Kelbys makes a titanium 700 action that can lighten up some weight.

The one and done caliber would probably be 300 win mag. Readily-ish available in factory loadings. Recoil gonna suck but whatevs.

Optics wise I would look pretty heavily at March. They have done lightweight and durable very well for over a decade now. You won't be giving up much in glass quality compared to a TT/schmidty. Find a lightweight mount and base. GTG
They just won't make locking turrets...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

What in the heck does a traditional hunting stock do for you besides be more uncomfortable and less accurate? Traditional hunting stocks are basically for looks only at this point, especially now that we have some crazy light chassis options out there.

The OP said " I have a .308 now (700 in a KRG chassis), but it's too much to tote in the woods. "

He is looking for a hunting rifle that is easy to tote in the woods.

Reactions: GFB
12 gauge pump shotgun with a screw in choke.

Honestly, I was thinking about this. For versatility, definitely. Slugs for big game, and then all the different loadings from turkeys and geese to squirrels and dove. Probably do a quick detach mount for a nice scope for big game hunting.

The only way you're going to get away with one is that you only hunt or shoot in one situation. Now if you start with a 22LR, that will do a lot. That 308 is a great choice as long as you can hit what you're aiming at. The 22 is for small game and target shooting. Then the 308 can handle medium to larger game. It would be a little limited to heavy brush or large dangerous game.

Could always have a custom drilling built. Something like a 25/06 on top of a 300 win mag(or larger) combo. I think that would reasonably cover anything youd hunt in north america, outside of waterfowl and small game, which you could take with a sidearm if so inclined.

Back
Top Bottom