• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

One and Done Hunting Rifle

For me it would be my BAR 30:06
It’s accurate and works for me. Been using 30:06 for well over 40 years and it has always done good. Have also witnessed it take elk with good results however they weren’t over 200 yds

They just won't make locking turrets...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
To each their own but I've never experienced the need for a locking turret. The new highmasters have capped windage so thats a thing I guess. Even in comp scenarios I think I've watched people struggle unlocking turrets to dial more than I've heard "oh crap, my elevation was off, how did that happen?"

To each their own but I've never experienced the need for a locking turret. The new highmasters have capped windage so thats a thing I guess. Even in comp scenarios I think I've watched people struggle unlocking turrets to dial more than I've heard "oh crap, my elevation was off, how did that happen?"
They move off all the time in dynamic comps like 3 gun and Run and Guns. I've had them move off during hunting as well after checking once on the stand. If they aren't capped or locked they don't get considered.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I have not had issues with exposed turrets moving while pulling it out of rifle scabbards or cases. With that said I prefer locking turrets. Extra insurance.

Custom light weight rifle in .300 Win Mag. Learn how to load your own so you can get everything out of it for any North American situation. Make sure you can put that bullet where you want it because it's a bit light for the really big stuff.

I hope that I never run into one of these woodland critters wearing level 4 body armour, or the dreaded North American Elephant. For all others inside 250 yards using 300 Win Mag or 30-06....
60765906-CE67-429D-B1C3-B6190A137A8C.jpeg

The Tikka T3X series is hard to beat. I got a Superlite from Sportsman's Warehouse I'm very pleased with. It's very handy, accurate, and comes with a good trigger. As far as what you'd want it chambered in, I'd double check what you can find ammo for first, but there are lots of good options otherwise. They're all built on a long action. They have some versions that come with a muzzle break which you might consider if you want to lessen recoil a bit. I really don't need another hunting rifle.

How hard do you want the snot slapped out of you.

Super light weight and magnum calibers or heavy grain bullets will do it.

If you are ok with a bit of recoil you can buy a super lite with a carbon fiber stock or build your own.

Range plays a factor as well.
If you do most of your killing two hundred yards or less most calibers will work.

Four hundred yards ish? you want more power on target and the larger rounds come into their own.

On ODT there is a Kimber in .257 Roberts and a Tikka in .338 Federal.

The Sig Cross is good but still a tad heavy.
My friend has a Springfield Waypoint as his do it all rifle and it impressed me.

Back
Top Bottom