• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Only 2 weeks to Clinton Run & Gun

bulletpaluza

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
263   0
Reaction score
Necrosis Necrosis P ponyboy96 and anyone else from ODT.

How you guys doing with whatever you are doing to get ready?
Think you have you rig set up right?
Have your optic zeroed and know your hold overs?
You been running or dieting?

Dont you think this would be even more fun in the rain?

I'm not where I want to be fitness-wise, but I'm doing what I can with life as it is. Slow and steady is my best/only option lol.

Planning to run a battle belt and a sling pack. I'd love to run a plate carrier with plates for the 5k but I'm not there yet.

First one so hope I chose the right kit. Lots of running and shooting as much as I can. I’m more worried about the courses of fire than the other stuff. I’ll treat it like an ultra or an OCR. Run what ya can, walk what ya can’t. Should be a lot of fun either way.

Shooting: since the rbgc action pistol match, been working a lot on accuracy and speed. Been doing a lot of plates and bowling pins. Hate that I’m going to have to miss the match this weekend. Doing the uspsa match next weekend instead.

For kit: condor chest rig with camelback. 6 pistol mag pouches, 6 rifle mags.

Rifle: 2a arms Balios carbon with proctor sling

Pistol: m9a1 with a Blackhawk level 3 retention.

Still on the fence for shorts vs pants. Been training in both. If it’s dry, I’ll run in my running shoes. If it’s wet and raining, probably my old jungle boots. Using 511 pants and rigger belt.

I'll be there stomping and sweating through the 8k! The first time I tried on Kuhl hot weather pants.... it forever settled the shorts vs pants question!

The train like you fight is an important concept to put into practice for RnG. Most of us are not used to having ~15lbs in front of our chests (some women's class competitors excluded) so running in your kit is muy importante for discovering which part of your bod will start complaining first, and what part(s) complain the loudest.

You might get some weird looks but talking to your RSO, letting them know what you are training for and then getting permission to do jumping jacks/pushups in/near indoor ranges might be your best bet of high HR shooting if you don't have any land to practice on.

Ill be RnG-ing with:

POF 415 edge
-Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x (BDC reticle)
-Vickers Tactical adj padded sling
Condor Chest rig
-AR mags (~1.5x min round count depending on intimidation factor of CoF)
-(1+) 40rd pmag
-30rd Pmag/Lancer mags
-TQ, chest seal, snacks
-Shemagh to keep the tacti-chaffing down
Battle belt;
-CZ SP-01 tactical (9mm)
-****ty universal holster
-Triple pistol-mag pouch
-3x 18rd factory mags
-Trauma kit
Camelbak
-~0.75L water
-multitool?
-Mechanix gloves
-possibly some pistol ammo depending on round count
GoPro head mount
Ear/Eye pro

Kuhl hot weather pants
Trail running shoes w/aggressive tread (I highly discourage boots)
Wool socks

First one so hope I chose the right kit. Lots of running and shooting as much as I can. I’m more worried about the courses of fire than the other stuff. I’ll treat it like an ultra or an OCR. Run what ya can, walk what ya can’t. Should be a lot of fun either way.

Shooting: since the rbgc action pistol match, been working a lot on accuracy and speed. Been doing a lot of plates and bowling pins. Hate that I’m going to have to miss the match this weekend. Doing the uspsa match next weekend instead.

For kit: condor chest rig with camelback. 6 pistol mag pouches, 6 rifle mags.

Rifle: 2a arms Balios carbon with proctor sling

Pistol: m9a1 with a Blackhawk level 3 retention.

Still on the fence for shorts vs pants. Been training in both. If it’s dry, I’ll run in my running shoes. If it’s wet and raining, probably my old jungle boots. Using 511 pants and rigger belt.
My only advice would be to stay lean, based on the RBGC 5k run and gun. They were some crawling through rope/string/spider web type stuff and a low crawl. You can keep a few mags on you and extras mags or loose rounds to top off mags in your pack.

IIRC the guy that won that event, used like 3 of each rifle/pistol and just topped off from his sling pack while moving between stages. Him being a good runner and shooter also helped, but I always try to learn from others. Just don't leave a trail of AK rounds to tease me like bulletpaluza bulletpaluza lol.

My only advice would be to stay lean, based on the RBGC 5k run and gun. They were some crawling through rope/string/spider web type stuff and a low crawl. You can keep a few mags on you and extras mags or loose rounds to top off mags in your pack.

IIRC the guy that won that event, used like 3 of each rifle/pistol and just topped off from his sling pack while moving between stages. Him being a good runner and shooter also helped, but I always try to learn from others. Just don't leave a trail of AK rounds to tease me like bulletpaluza bulletpaluza lol.

Yep that’s a concern with the chest rig for sure. With the low crawling. It’s actually comfortable prone. I’ll be running the whole thing, didn’t figure I’d have much time to load mags while running. I’ll have to think about the sling backpack. First one, so see how it goes. Figure I’ll learn a lot for the next one.

Back
Top Bottom