• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinion needed on scope

I've been doing a ton of research on this myself
And can't find anyone saying anything bad about the redfield revolution scopes.
Leupold glass quality, made by leupold in the U.S. And tons of raving reviews all over the interweb.
I think I'm sold on one....just
Can't find them on the shelves since Christmas.

The only feedback on improvement I've heard about was the thumb click turrets sometimes have a mushy click in between positive clicks.
I put a redfield revolution 2-7x on my 300 blk. I really like it. Picked it up on here for $140 with scope caps. I might like it better than my Nikon prostaff's.

I put a redfield revolution 2-7x on my 300 blk. I really like it. Picked it up on here for $140 with scope caps. I might like it better than my Nikon prostaff's.

Yeah I was thinking that might be the exact ticket for me since I hunt thick woods and don't need long range scopes nor heavy ones since I still hunt and do a lot of walking.

I'll throw in a bit different choice..

Minox ZX 3 3x9x40

on sale for $99( down from $200)

Really, really good glass with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minox-ZV-3-3-9x40-PLEX-Reticle-Riflescope-1-Tube-66005-NEW/351739183799?_trksid=p2050601.c100574.m4253&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=37338&meid=f01c9021b90b4bd8849500c8000393d8&pid=100574&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=132057670869

the seller is the guy from Cameraland Optics

I own 3 of the Minos ZA 3s and they are terrific.. Glass in them is better than a Conquest (IMHO). Not quite the same glass in the ZV 3 but it's great for $99

A friend of mine was looking for an inexpensive scope for his AR.
He wanted a short and light scope that "looked right" for the rifle's slim proportions and fairly short length.
A standard rifle scope that's 12" long was not the right proportion to the rifle.

So after a lot of looking, and keeping in mind he's on a tight budget and only wants to shoot accurately out to 200 - 250 yards, he got the Leapers UTG "Bug Buster" compact 3x-9x scope with red and green illuminated crosshairs.

We both shot it a few weeks ago, and it worked fine.
One thing that's less than perfect about it is the "doughnut hole" effect you get. A thick dark ring around the image through the ocular lens. The fact that the 32 mm objective lens is housed in a pretty thick bell, which is only a short distance ahead of the end of the scope that you look though, means the body of this forward (ocular lens) of the scope blocks some of your view of what's around the target.

Also, the scope is nominally marked as 1/4 m.o.a. adjustments, but we found that it was really about 1/3 of a M.O.A. per click. It only took 100 clicks to move the point of impact 30" on paper at 100 yards, and it "should have been" 120 clicks if it were really 0.25 m.o.a. per click.

The fact that this scope came with rings and scope base with a Q.D. attachment system was a good bonus.

P.S. One thing that can be potentially awkward about mounting this scope: There is no room to slide the scope forward or backward within the rings. The only way to shift this scope forward or back over the gun's receiver is to move the entire system forward or back on the gun's scope base / flat-top. That could mean that you may not get the scope as far forward, or rearward, as you prefer.
But for us, it was just fine.

I've had good luck with the Redfield Revolution. A little more money for alot better scope made in the U.S.A. Their Revenge is made elsewhere.

He wanted a short and light scope that "looked right" for the rifle's slim proportions and fairly short length.
A standard rifle scope that's 12" long was not the right proportion to the rifle.

So after a lot of looking, and keeping in mind he's on a tight budget and only wants to shoot accurately out to 200 - 250 yards, he got the Leapers UTG "Bug Buster" compact 3x-9x scope with red and green illuminated crosshairs.

One thing that's less than perfect about it is the "doughnut hole" effect you get. A thick dark ring around the image through the ocular lens. The fact that the 32 mm objective lens is housed in a pretty thick bell, which is only a short distance ahead of the end of the scope that you look though, means the body of this forward (ocular lens) of the scope blocks some of your view of what's around the target.

Also, the scope is nominally marked as 1/4 m.o.a. adjustments, but we found that it was really about 1/3 of a M.O.A. per click. It only took 100 clicks to move the point of impact 30" on paper at 100 yards, and it "should have been" 120 clicks if it were really 0.25 m.o.a. per click.

The fact that this scope came with rings and scope base with a Q.D. attachment system was a good bonus.

P.S. One thing that can be potentially awkward about mounting this scope: There is no room to slide the scope forward or backward within the rings. The only way to shift this scope forward or back over the gun's receiver is to move the entire system forward or back on the gun's scope base / flat-top. That could mean that you may not get the scope as far forward, or rearward, as you prefer.
But for us, it was just fine.
So, to sum up what you are saying, the scope sucked and not worth the money?

Might wanna try replacing the foregrip with a rail type set up that allows scope mounting more forewords since that donut you see means your eye relief is no good at that mounting point.

Back
Top Bottom