• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinion on vehicle age vs mileage

Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, Ford & Toyota. I have driven them all over the years. Put more than my fair share of dodges into the 200,000 mile plus club. I've seen 1 owner trucks that look great but couldn't be more a POS than a donkey turd. You got to look at how the truck was run to make the best choice. Don't let what looks like a sweetheart deal take your money cause it looks great. If you've got any doubt, get a friend or mechanic to check it out. Better that than having a 1 ton turd as a planter box in the driveway. Good luck....!

At 185,000 miles a Chevy transmission would have gone out at least twice. They have yet to update the sun shell in the transmission. What should be a one piece unit is a pressed together unit. It holds the entire weight of the truck on splines that are about 1/8 deep and less than a quarter inch long. It is a piss poor design that should have never made it to a production unit.

Had 235k on my last one and sunshell was fine. GM did actually update the manufacturing process to make it 25-30% stronger I believe than the early models prone to failure. That may have started when the 65e or 70e went into production. That said, if you’re rebuilding one you’d be a fool not to switch to the Beast or Sonnax Smartshell, 5 pinion planets and upgraded servos. Remove the pwm and install a good converter and you’ll get 400k miles or more with maintenance.

Hey guys. I'm looking for opinions on the age of a vehicle compared to the mileage. I'm currently looking at a 2017 Ram that has 185,000 highway miles. Truck looks like new. No issues or wear. All maintenance records, one owner and price is 1/3 of the price when new. Normally I wouldn't consider one with this many miles, but with the condition, records, and the fact that most wear happens at start up I'm thinking about it. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Deisel ?

Age usually has more importance than miles unless it Dodge or nissan or infinity. They all have crappy transmission. Oh and ford trucks with the e40d junky transmissions.
you service the Dodge transmissions and they're great! I had a 06 3500 4x4 dually when I traded it in it had 188k and never had an issue with the drivetrain! A/C was the only issue I had with it!

you service the Dodge transmissions and they're great! I had a 06 3500 4x4 dually when I traded it in it had 188k and never had an issue with the drivetrain! A/C was the only issue I had with it!
That goes for all except e4od and the cat. I recommend every 40-50k miles for all. If it has a spin on or external filter I recommend those every oil change or every other at least.

That goes for all except e4od and the cat. I recommend every 40-50k miles for all. If it has a spin on or external filter I recommend those every oil change or every other at least.
I change the filter and trans fluid every 40,000. My 17 dually has the Aisin and it states to drain fluid every 30 and change the filter every other drain so every 60k filter. Just did mine yesterday filter and fluid! The best protection you can do for the transmission! Cheap too if oyu do it yourself and use Mopar filter and quality fluid!

Back
Top Bottom