• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinion: Should states have mandatory training to receive CCW license?

In ohio you have to do 8 hours of class time and a few hours of range time with live fire cost me 90 dollars and 67 for background check

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm opposed to the carry license, so I'm very opposed to mandatory training. Freedom comes with individual responsibility. People have carried weapons of all types since the beginning of time. Opening the door to one infringement always leads to further infringements down the road. The second amendment should be our carry permit, and that's all.
I agree with you open carry is legal in ohio not sure about where else and I did that for awhile

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I say No to a mandatory test. The cost has more than doubled down here since the new picture version, GWCL, came into use. Who would set the cost ? The "state certified" shooting range you have to go to ? If this ever got traction in the State Legislature it would get alot of support ( lobbying money ) from those it may benefit financially. Just more intrusion, more control. IMHO.

This took a whole different angle then how i read it. I feel i have to extend my initial statement to stay way clear of the implied Lib zone!

First, the question is should some training or demonstration of competency be required when getting a Carry License. The question was not about the CL program itself, which is where most seem to be focused. The CL is already here. It will be a whole different thing to address dropping the program.

OP can weigh in on this of course.

Personally, i do not like the idea of some guy in my vicinity carrying something he has never cleared, cleaned, or shot. And yes, that is potentially all around. I know some of you have seen this person in the LGS pull something out that is loaded and clearly no idea how to handle it.

A few points to consider:
- regardless of military and leo experience, I had to go to class to be able to carry a gun (or bow) in the woods while i look for bambi. Why should that be more restricted?
- you cannot make the focus about cost. That't a recycle of the liberal argument against voter ID. Pretend it is free or at least included in the CL and you are already stuck with the CL.
- not everyone grows up with hardware in the house, being taught how to use it and how to hunt.

I don't have all the answers, just some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom