• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinion: Should states have mandatory training to receive CCW license?

When I lived in North Carolina you had to take a mandatory 8 hour class ending with a written test and than a range qualification. Cost was $57 but varied from county to county by a few dollars. Didn’t like it but those were the rules. I can tell you that I was suprised at how many taking the class really struggled during the shooting qualification. With that said I don’t believe the government should require mandatory training. I would not mind though if the county or state where your applying for your CCW permit issued you a free voucher for a handgun class at any indoor or outdoor range if you so choosed to use it. Speaking for only my local range the owner said during one of our discussions that he would gladly give a free class to new CCW holders if this were a requirement. Also makes good business sense as they might sign up for more classes or just come and shoot more at the range.

of course it’s only coincidental that op offers said training so due to it being merely coincidental it’s not a subtle pitch at all
This thread is 2 years old so I'm not going back through it, but does the OP ever self-promote or does he just encourage people to train?

of course it’s only coincidental that op offers said training so due to it being merely coincidental it’s not a subtle pitch at all

The OP trains snipers. Do you think he wants to sell you sniper training to carry your gun?

Not only that but cmshoot cmshoot is one of the original members of this forum, is a wealth of knowledge that far exceeds 90% of the forums membership combined, and his reputation is beyond reproach.

No, I do not offer “said training” because “said training” does not exist in Georgia. I am not “licensed” or “certified” to teach any kind of state required courses that are mandated for an individual to obtain a firearms license. Therefore, I have never made any money off of this sort of training, and never plan to.

The only sort of “required” training that I conduct is for LEO’s and retired LEO’s.

If you read my original post, I stated, “Personally, I feel that the government should not have the authority to regulate, and any non-felon adult should be allowed to carry, but let's disregard that. Let's say it's gotta be a permit.“. So, SHALL NOT INFRINGE. I don’t believe that we should have a permit at all, let alone training or a test.

I would prefer that there not be training. If there is training, I don’t believe that there should be a scored qualification. I’ve seen those tests in states like Tennessee. It’s so easy that most anyone can pass it, but some don’t. So, some 86YOA woman can’t pass the test, so you’re going to deny her a permit?! That’s some BS! She needs a handgun for self-defense more than most as she would have a difficult time physically defending herself. A firearm is an effective equalizer.

If the state is going to mandate training to obtain a weapon’s license, then the state should pay for it. There should be no cost incurred to the individual taking the test. The states are already regulating a right that shall not be infringed, there is no way folks should have to pay for the curtailment of that right.

So, my opinion, in a nutshell:

1. Should not be any permits required at all
2. If you’re going to have a permit, then no training/testing, to include live-fire scored testing
3. If you’re going to have training, then it should be free to the individual

This thread is 2 years old so I'm not going back through it, but does the OP ever self-promote or does he just encourage people to train?

Oh, I do both! I mostly encourage folks to train, and have recommended Instructors and their courses other than just mine. I do advertise in the training forum and mention my courses in other forums when the topic comes up.

I encourage anyone that trains with me to get as much training as possible, with as many different Instructors as possible. Different folks do things differently and it is good to be exposed to different methods.

Back
Top Bottom