• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Opinion Thread" Selling a gun under 21?

"Would you feel comfortable selling a firearm (Rifle or Handgun) to a member who is under 21?

• Total voters
Man...there are a LOT of people here who I see everyday talking about the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment talking about denying a legal citizen from purchasing a gun? Hypocrisy! An 18 year old has as much right to protect his/her life as you are I do. It's not up to you or I to decide if they are mature enough. A person can seem mature one minute and go off the reservation the next...at any age. Some of you old farts leave me scratching my head after trades wondering if you are going to take it directly to a mall and start slaughtering unwary shoppers...All I can figure is, if I don't have reason to suspect you can't legally own a firearm, then my conscious is clear selling you one. If I think you are a douchebag, I will still sell to you because even douchebags have a right to protect themselves. I make it a point to only hand over unloaded guns during a trade/sell in hopes that your douchebaggery won't get me killed on sight. I'll stick around and chat after a trade. But if I see you start loading mags or cylinders, POOF...I'm gone. Once out of sight, you are usually out of mind. No offense.

Man...there are a LOT of people here who I see everyday talking about the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment talking about denying a legal citizen from purchasing a gun? Hypocrisy! An 18 year old has as much right to protect his/her life as you are I do. It's not up to you or I to decide if they are mature enough. A person can seem mature one minute and go off the reservation the next...at any age. Some of you old farts leave me scratching my head after trades wondering if you are going to take it directly to a mall and start slaughtering unwary shoppers...All I can figure is, if I don't have reason to suspect you can't legally own a firearm, then my conscious is clear selling you one. If I think you are a douchebag, I will still sell to you because even douchebags have a right to protect themselves. I make it a point to only hand over unloaded guns during a trade/sell in hopes that your douchebaggery won't get me killed on sight. I'll stick around and chat after a trade. But if I see you start loading mags or cylinders, POOF...I'm gone. Once out of sight, you are usually out of mind. No offense.

Spot on.

Gift yes but if i give you cash and say hey go buy me a Glock 19 then that is a straw purchase even though I could legally purchase the gun my self. It has to he a actual gift where you have no intention of making the other party pay you back

And I only said gift. But in regards to the rest of your statement, that is only because of a recent change by the unelected morons on the Supreme Court who decided to change the definition. Like many things these days, people who are educated well beyond their intelligence level, are seeking to "enlighten" the world with their wisdom... :rolleyes:

It has always been understood from a legal perspective, and the meaning of the laws that were passed, that a straw purchase was purchasing for a person who was PROHIBITED from owning a gun. The idiotic Abramski decision changed it, and the ridiculous part is that the people let it stand.

And I only said gift. But in regards to the rest of your statement, that is only because of a recent change by the unelected morons on the Supreme Court who decided to change the definition. Like many things these days, people who are educated well beyond their intelligence level, are seeking to "enlighten" the world with their wisdom... :rolleyes:

It has always been understood from a legal perspective, and the meaning of the laws that were passed, that a straw purchase was purchasing for a person who was PROHIBITED from owning a gun. The idiotic Abramski decision changed it, and the ridiculous part is that the people let it stand.

That's a fact Jack.

Originally, the purpose and intent was to prohibit someone buying a gun for a prohibited person, not from a son given money and buying Dad a gun or any other non-prohibited person.

ATF: https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-a...8-and-21-years-age-acquire-handgun-unlicensed

http://www.guns.com/2014/06/18/nssf...-not-make-gift-purchases-of-firearms-illegal/

Now awaiting the SCOTUS to rule buying a firearm from a non-licensee (private sales-citizen) for another non-prohibited person is illegal as well, unless it's a "gift" then that still is ok for now.

I served with plenty of fine upstanding young men and women in my unit. Many of which were 18 - 20 years old. I would have no issue selling a firearm to someone who was under 21 as long as they don't mind giving up their ID when they show up. Just like anyone else I sell to, I take down their personal data, just in case the weapon ends up becoming famous at some point. In my opinion, if you are old enough to vote and go to war, then you are old enough to drink and own firearms (not at the same moment though) as well as other arbitrary under 21 regulations. If they can be tried as an adult, treat them like one.

I agree with Duce on this. Shame on you for not including tacos. I think an admin should give you a warning point for that.

I would probably NOT sell a handgun, a defensive weapon made for homicidal purposes, to a young man under age 21.
Maybe I'd make an exception for a longtime member with a record of posting intelligent comments, showing knowledge of guns and respect for what they are capable of. If the young man is already an owner of other guns, and this handgun is just something he needs to add to a growing gun collection, maybe.

Rifle or shotgun? No problem. Unless the person seems like a nut or shady, I'd sell a long gun to a fellow Georgia resident at age 18, and possibly even lower, if the kid seems responsible and has an appropriate purpose in mind for it.

My two cents:

YES

As in any sell or trade transaction - I look at their mannerisms and demeanor and the situation and make a judgment call

Using feedback and a permit as markers as well -

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

That is all - carry on

I would probably NOT sell a handgun, a defensive weapon made for homicidal purposes, to a young man under age 21.
Maybe I'd make an exception for a longtime member with a record of posting intelligent comments, showing knowledge of guns and respect for what they are capable of. If the young man is already an owner of other guns, and this handgun is just something he needs to add to a growing gun collection, maybe.

Rifle or shotgun? No problem. Unless the person seems like a nut or shady, I'd sell a long gun to a fellow Georgia resident at age 18, and possibly even lower, if the kid seems responsible and has an appropriate purpose in mind for it.

Wow. That is some liberal **** right there. I have owned many pistols, all without committing homicide.

We should be discussing the violation of The Second Amendment not furthering the anti-gun lefties' cause. If you are old enough to vote and join the military, you should be old enough to have a beer and buy a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom