• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions/advice for sick friend

fast306stang

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
376   0
Reaction score
This is probably going to be lengthy, bear with me. I need some opinions/prayers/advice for a friend/co-worker. 3 months into this and the doctors haven't found out what's wrong yet. I am in constant touch with his sister, she gave me permission to post.

My co-worker is in his middle 50's. Was riding a shuttle last year over the holidays, the shuttle t-boned another vehicle, killing the driver and threw my friend out of his seat. No idea if this is related to his health or not...but afterwards he started losing weight and was having a hard time walking...we all just contributed it to the accident.

Well, he keeps losing weight and has a harder time getting around. Worse and worse the more time passes. So the beginning of March, he just is absolutely out of energy and has his head on his desk. My boss asked me to take him to the medstop thingy (OMS if you're familiar with the base).

He could barely walk to the parking lot. Heavy labored breathing, but talking and answering my questions. I told him to wait for me and I'd get my car and pick him up. I was talking to him in the car, it was about a 5 minute ride. Cognitive but slow to answer bc of his energy level and having a hard time breathing...

Get to OMS, the nurse checks him out and about 5 minutes later tells me they called 911 for an ambulance, he couldn't tell them his name or his birthday, the date, etc, etc.

So the ambulance took him to the ER. They did a spinal tap and bloodwork, they eliminated bacterial meningitis, he had a 102 fever, low white blood cells, nodules under his lungs and around his pancreas. After 3ish weeks, they figured out he has Lyme Disease and sent him home for home healthcare.

He was not healthy enough to get things squared away and since he lives in Americus, I don't think there was any follow-up from the doctors here.

He kept losing weight, his sister picked him up and brought him to the hospital here in Byron, bc the hospital in Warner Robins failed him, and it's pretty well-known that their ER sucks.

They said he has a little blood in his stool, his red bloods cells are irregular shaped, his hemoglobin was low, white blood cell count low also. They kept him for about 4 days, gave him 2 units of blood and sent him back home that night.

Ok, so about a week ago, they admitted him to the hospital in Albany and had an oncologist and a hemotologist check him out. The oncologist thought he had pre-leukemia or MDS. So they did another spinal tap. That makes 3 spinal taps he's had so far. It came back negative. Yesterday they said they thought he may have lupus. I get an update from his sister today, they sent him back home again while she was in Florida. They said they were going to send him to rehab, which I take to mean physical therapy, but they said they couldn't find a place that could take him.

So 3 months into this and 3 hospitals have admitted him and done their tests and they still don't know what's causing this. He is still losing weight and can barely walk, they keep sending him home but he isn't able to take care of himself and he lives alone. When i say he can barely walk, the hospital in Albany made him get up and walk to the elevators from his room. That's as far as he could make it. And that was with 2 nurses helping him and him using a walker.

One of the doctors called him an enigma...he knows there's a problem but all the tests come back negative. His sister is the one trying to take him to the appointments, etc, but she lives here in Warner Robins and he is in Americus.

I am hoping someone here has some advice/suggestions. I will send her a link to this thread. We are literally watching a man wither away and the doctors can't figure out anything, it's been more than three months that he has been out of work and staying in hospitals for a week or longer at a time. He was in the first one for almost a month. Sorry i havent named the hospitals, I'm leary of them googling and then me getting sued for slander or something like that.

I have given his sister the link to this thread.

She corrected and gave me some new information:

"That's right. They actually did 2 spinal taps, 2 bone marrow aspirations, several MRI and CT scans, blood tests, HIV test, given him blood and platelets...today the home health came by and he weights 117lbs. They did put him on steroids while in the hospital, that is the only thing that has seemed to help him.

Oh, hes had 2 biopsies done as well, and blood cultures."

All tests have come back negative, except he had a staph infection and was treated for that also.

So at 117lbs, he has lost a little over 100lbs in the last 8ish months.

Sorry about your friend. Sounds horrible and how sad the docs can't figure it out.

Any possibility for the PT to be done at home by a visiting therapist?

Sorry about your friend. Sounds horrible and how sad the docs can't figure it out.

Any possibility for the PT to be done at home by a visiting therapist?

Thanks man. It's a bad situation, 3 months deep and still pretty much at square one.

They keep sending him home for home therapy but somehow there is a breakdown in the system...not sure exactly where. He gets sent home but the therapy never starts it seems. I think it's partly because he isn't able to take care of himself and follow up to make sure someone comes by, and I also think he lives in a rural area and that seems to compound the problem.

I know this might sound trite, But has anyone taken a very close look at his diet?

I had a friend that went through full chemo and they never gave her any guidance about her diet. She was weak for years. I helped her make a few changes in her diet and she has gotten most of her energy back.

If your friend isn’t getting enough quality protein and vitamins and minerals he is not going to regenerate.

That rapid of weight loss sounds like some form of cancer, or possibly some form of toxin. Serious question, is he married or does he have someone who would benefit from slowly poisoning him? If he has seen an oncologist then I am fairly certain that he was screened for cancer, so my bet is on something environmental.
There are plenty of toxins that would kill someone slowly but are extremely difficult to detect unless they are specifically looking for them.

I know this might sound trite, But has anyone taken a very close look at his diet?

I had a friend that went through full chemo and they never gave her any guidance about her diet. She was weak for years. I helped her make a few changes in her diet and she has gotten most of her energy back.

If your friend isn’t getting enough quality protein and vitamins and minerals he is not going to regenerate.

I'm a little concerned and confused about this also. I took him some pizza from a place I know he loves, he ate almost 3 slices. His sister took him some a few weeks later and he ate 4 pieces. Outside of that, he barely eats, he says nothing tastes good. But I would think he would eat something, anything, no matter what it tastes like before he starved himself and lost over 100 pounds? It doesn't make sense to me...

Back
Top Bottom