• Tacos....because Tacos!!!

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
I have an overheating/heating issue with my current car. Depending on the cause or causes, it may cost more to repair than what the car ia actually worth. I'm leaning towards just spending $3k-4k on another used car for now, but am interested in other opinions. Buying a new vehicle or used over $5k is not an option at this time, but may be around the end of the year.

The issue I am having has been a little difficult to pin down, but I'm thinking the heater core and/or thermostat need replaced. I havent been able to detect a significant leak anywhere, but my coolant seems to be disappearing somewhere and my heat is blowing cold or at least cool air. I have had slight overheating isues in the past when driving through the mountains, but switching on the heat always brought the temp back into normal range.

I'm also not sure what to do with the car if I do replace it. Kelley Blue Book lists trade in value as under $500 and private party value as barely over $1000. The issues with the heat and overheating combined with poor paint, back windows that dont work, bad interior, and dent in a bumper, makes it not very appealing to private buyers. So I'm not sure if its worth the trouble to even try to trade it in or if I should just sell it to a junkyard.

Find a mechanic you can trust and get an estimate for repair. Forget what the car is worth. If the repair is less than you can replace the vehicle for, fix it. If not, sell it to a private buyer for the best price you can get and then buy a replacement in your budget range.

Back
Top Bottom