• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions Needed about Gun Shows

ti-force

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
I've never been to a gun show before, but I'm considering attending one soon. What do you guys think about these gun shows?

Are there good deals to be had more often than not?

How do these shows work? I guess what I'm asking is, are most of the vendors actual dealers? What's the condition of most of these guns? New? Used? Refurbished? D: all of the above? :D

I have found the best deals at gun shows is the ammo. Also just some advice...if you carry daily...bring a hard case with you..have your carry weapon strapped at the door, put it in the case and carry it with you. DO NOT leave it in your car. The bad guys love to visit gun shows too, but they do all of their shopping in the parking lots.

Gun shows are good places to see and handle a lot of guns, but not necessarily to buy one. There are often good deals to be had from people attending the show that are hoping to trade or sell one of their own. Occasionally you can find a good deal on a table, but not often.

Gun shows today are almost nothing but dealers. You will find an individual with a table selling his stuff, but not often.
It's hard to find a deal on the table, but if you have the time to stick around most of the day and watch the guys coming in the door you can get a deal off of an attendee. It's hard to buy from them at first, but after they find out what the dealers are offering you can get a deal.

It's just like here...........all it takes is time and money to get a deal.

I've been to a lot of them this year. A few things:

If you are looking for something ultra-specific you will probably be disappointed, but if you do not have anything in particular in mind then you may find something.

Make sure you walk around the entire show before you buy something, I've seen $100 price difference on multiple items from one dealer to the next.

Most of the stuff is new but you should still look it over real well, if it is on the table then chances are it has been molested by 100's of people, and may have been taken to multiple shows. I found a Pf-9 with a parkerized slide and od green frame but after looking it over I noticed a scuff that I couldn't get off.

There are good deals to be had, but not a lot of them. And in reference to inkdaddy's comment, you can bring your carry weapon in with you and just carry it in a holster, just make sure it is unloaded and you check it in at the door.

It also helps if you have a phone with internet access or a friend who is near the computer that you can call, that way you can make sure you are getting a deal. Nothing worse than getting home and finding it a lot cheaper.

I've been to a lot of them this year. A few things:

If you are looking for something ultra-specific you will probably be disappointed, but if you do not have anything in particular in mind then you may find something.

Make sure you walk around the entire show before you buy something, I've seen $100 price difference on multiple items from one dealer to the next.

Most of the stuff is new but you should still look it over real well, if it is on the table then chances are it has been molested by 100's of people, and may have been taken to multiple shows. I found a Pf-9 with a parkerized slide and od green frame but after looking it over I noticed a scuff that I couldn't get off.

There are good deals to be had, but not a lot of them. And in reference to inkdaddy's comment, you can bring your carry weapon in with you and just carry it in a holster, just make sure it is unloaded and you check it in at the door.

It also helps if you have a phone with internet access or a friend who is near the computer that you can call, that way you can make sure you are getting a deal. Nothing worse than getting home and finding it a lot cheaper.

I would say these two points are huge. I only go to the gun shows now to look at and handle guns to see if I like one that I am looking at buying. I never plan on buying a gun at a gun show. I will buy ammo, mags, or accessories if I see a decent deal. Be sure to ask the dealer if it's ok if you pick up and handle his firearms. I do this out of respect for his property. Just my opinion.

Good advice from all. I'll add:

Pre-Clinton, Gun Shows were THE place to go for deals. After the Clinton Gun Ban, it went nuts and never really recovered.

1. Do your research, especially if you're looking for something in particular. Know what an item is worth before you browse.

2. If you see a particular dealer that you like and don't want to make an impulse buy, ask for a business card or a website address. Any reputable dealer will be more than happy to give a card.

3. It doesn't hurt to buy a Blue Book of Gun Values. If you get one, take it with you.
Amazon has them for $32.97 Click >>>Here<<<

4. Look for a local small time FFL. "Hobby" FFLs will be more willing to give you a reasonable price due to low overhead. The only drawback to this is they don't normally carry a lot of inventory and they will have to order your item. But, if you're willing to wait you can save $$$.

Here are 2 sites where you can locate a FFL in your area:
Gun Broker FFL Search
Auction Arms FFL Search

Last edited:
Good advice from all. I'll add:

Pre-Clinton, Gun Shows were THE place to go for deals. After the Clinton Gun Ban, it went nuts and never really recovered.

That right there says it all. Used to be like a kid in a candy store, almost always bought a gun. But I haven't bought a gun a a gun show in many years, they are just too high.

Thanks again for all the info and links guys :thumb:. Very informative knowledge gained here. I'll be sure to have my lightning fast Droid on standby at the show :D.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom