• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions Needed about Gun Shows

Yes having Internet access to check prices or markings is great. I personally go to shows for the experience and to buy small things that you can find cheap (surplus gear, ammo cans, etc). Ammo prices are about 150-200% of what you can find online usually (seriously), even with shipping included. Gun prices are hit or miss, but for what i have looked for specifically I have never found a killer deal. Remember you are paying taxes at a show also usually, unless it is cash and the seller can work in a cash price.

That brings up another thing: never be afraid to make an offer on something, especially if you have cash.

Like Steve said, if you are going to browse for nothing in particular you have a much better chance of walking away with a bargain.

Am I the only one that gets offending by the fact that you need to check your carry gun at the door? Seems to me that if those running the show were really pro-gun and not just trying to make money off of us, they would welcome those licensed to carry to keep their loaded weapons and have a safer show because of it. Is this a law?

It is no longer a law, since the "public gathering" law was repealed, but if they ask you to leave, then you must. If you do not leave immediately then you can be arrested for trespassing. But concealed is concealed.

Am I the only one that gets offending by the fact that you need to check your carry gun at the door? Seems to me that if those running the show were really pro-gun and not just trying to make money off of us, they would welcome those licensed to carry to keep their loaded weapons and have a safer show because of it. Is this a law?

One reason may have been the accidental shooting (even though loaded guns were not allowed, even then) in 2002 at the Eastman show in Norcross.

Teenager shot in the head, lingered a few days, and died.

Gun shows + carry guns + stupidity are a deadly mix. In an environment where people are talking and handling guns all day long, inevitably, someone with less than full respect for gun safety will decide to do show-and-tell with a loaded carry gun: "Hey, that's a nice holster, lemme see if my gun fits"..."Yeah, I used to carry the SUX6000, now I've got this Ruger Alaskan,"..."love that S&W Airweight, what you give me in trade for my Taurus 85, I've got it right here and you can see it's in great shape..."

Also, it's a private event, and the promotor of the event has to buy insurance (unless he's insanely wealthy, or just insane). The insurance company is going to be a stickler about policy details, since they're on the hook in a situation like the tragic shooting in 2002. I'd be surprised if that wasn't a 7 figure settlement, and rightly so.

A SUX6000? That was the car. The gun was a Cobra Assault Cannon - state of the art Bang Bang. Much better than an Alaskan.

Edit: Robo Cop reference

Last edited:
I think it depends on where the gun show is held. If it's in a government owned building, I guess the government get's to set the rules. If you don't wanna play by their rules, you have the option of not playing at all. Personnaly, I haven't been to a gun show since I started trading here. Why pay $15.00 to get into the door, to see your local gun shop guys tring to sell all the stuff they can't sell in their stores.

All the good stuff's already been said!
My experience- You might find a good price on a gun, likely won't.
I'll buy ammo or mags if they are priced competitively. Haven't been going much last few years due to pricing and door fee.

Back
Top Bottom