• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions on best Hunting Round for a S/B 30-30

Where is the pics? The first three deer I ever killed with a gun were from a 30-30. I'm sure that's the same story many of us have.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

16” is still plenty of barrel to get a .30-30 moving.
You probably only lose 10 to 15 F.P.S. per inch of barrel length dropping from 22” down to 16 inches.

SAAMI testing protocol says to use 24” test barrels for most centerfire rifle rounds, and the 150 gr. Winchester Power Max is advertised at doing 2,390.
One fellow who has a 16” carbine and a chronograph reports getting 2,305 actual.
So that’s little reduction in velocity to speak of.

85 FPS loss with an 8-inch shorter barrel.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...-out-16-inch-barrel.html#/topics/50456?page=1

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...0-winchester-150-grain-protected-hollow-point

I would second benching each of the rounds you are are considering. About 5 years ago I bought a used Marlin 30/30 and decided to compare. Rem corelokt in 150 and 170. Found out that the gun liked 170s quite a bit better. Groups were about 60-65% of the 150. But guns vary. I generally like to 30/30 for inside of 100 yds. If I am shooting fields I switch to a 25-06.

I have read a few reviews that talked about the leverevolution not holding together. Also the leverevolution uses proprietary brass which is shorter than regular 30-30 brass to accommodate the poly tip. I really don’t think you could go wrong with a soft point...

Mine prefers the 170 gr. That's what the Winchester 94's and Marlin 336 were designed for, and it seems to do best. 150's shoot plenty good to. Either or isn't gonna make a difference at any range you would shoot the gun. I was out in the woods with mine all day today, it's loaded with the 170's. I will not use that Hornady though. I have a box or two I will gladly trade to someone for normal .30-30. I reload and the brass they use with that leverevolution is shorter than standard .30-30 brass to accommodate that bullet that was never meant for that rifle.

Back
Top Bottom