• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Optic assistance please

No. Stadia remains the same throughout the mag range, thus changing the values of the stadia. On FFP optics, the stadia remain true throughout the mag range. Say you zero your rifle at a hundred yards. So long as still shooting at 100 yards, it doesn't matter where you are on your magnification, hold center up, and you will still hit center.
I was referring not to the center point but the built in BDC subtentions being accurate at all magnifications.

As others have said, the reticle is probably accurate at maximum magnification. However, you can check it yourself:

Assuming the stadia lines are supposed to represent a target 18" wide - Draw a box 18" wide. Place it at 100 yards, and vary the zero until the stadia line matches the target.

Or use a 9" wide target placed at 50 yards, or a 4.5" wide target placed at 25 yards.

It's the same way with a Mil-Dot reticle: Draw a box 3.6" wide, place it at 100 yards. Zoom the scope until the box is 1 mil wide or tall according to the reticle, and Bob's your uncle.

(Then you probably want to mark the scope, or at least write it down)

If all you have is a tape measure, 3 5/8" is pretty close to 3.6".

As others have said, the reticle is probably accurate at maximum magnification. However, you can check it yourself:

Assuming the stadia lines are supposed to represent a target 18" wide - Draw a box 18" wide. Place it at 100 yards, and vary the zero until the stadia line matches the target.

Or use a 9" wide target placed at 50 yards, or a 4.5" wide target placed at 25 yards.

It's the same way with a Mil-Dot reticle: Draw a box 3.6" wide, place it at 100 yards. Zoom the scope until the box is 1 mil wide or tall according to the reticle, and Bob's your uncle.

(Then you probably want to mark the scope, or at least write it down)

If all you have is a tape measure, 3 5/8" is pretty close to 3.6".

Thanks man, I am headed out to some farmland right now that will get me out to 500 yards. I’ll report back at the end of my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its a mil/moa scope like leupold was fond of for so many years its probably 10x. Every SFP I've had over 10x has been 10x. Surprised leupold didn't mark the mag on the ring. I've had much cheaper optics that all had it in red

……and that set magnification is set at the factory when it’s designed and built.

So what's the math here gentlemen? Let's say we're looking at say a 2x7 SFP MilDot Scope that for some reason is locked down to only 4x magnification - looking through that reticle, is 1 MIL not equal to ~3.6 inches at 100 yards?

Back
Top Bottom