• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Optic Recomendation

rdogger

Default rank 5000+ posts
I Pretty Much Hate People
317   0
Reaction score
ODT Braintrust,

Been a while since I posted but I need some help.

Need some suggestions for a budget friendly optic that will sit on top of a 18" 5.56 rifle.

Will be shooting surpressed if that matters.

Ideally I would like something with great maginifciation, something better than me slapping a 1-6 or 1-8.

Or, better yet, convince me that for a fun gun, a 1-8 is just fine an just buy the damn 1-8 Vortex Strike Eagle.

Thanks all.

I have the older version of the Strike Eagle in 1-6. I like the clarity of the optics, but am just not a fan of the reticle. I'd buy another in 1-8 if they would just make one that wasn't so busy. For what I do, I'd be pleased with a regular old duplex reticle.

FWIW The higher magnifications don’t offer much unless they’re high quality and pass a lot of light. They’re typically larger objectives and cost significantly more.
If you’re wanting to spot your shots on paper, 24x works for my 308 at 300yds in direct sunlight and 32x barely works to see 6.5mm with strong sunlight at 400.
IMHO, an AR deserves a combat scope over spotting scope. Features like more field of view, comfortable eye box, reticle for quick target acquisition and durability over high magnification.

All good points. Just trying to make this one different from the rest of the safe.

My first 18" barrel and suppressor ready.

2 stage trigger for what I think will make better shots.

I guess maybe a 1-8X is best right now.

Unless I find one of those 2 foot sunshades as long as the gun :)

FWIW The higher magnifications don’t offer much unless they’re high quality and pass a lot of light. They’re typically larger objectives and cost significantly more.
If you’re wanting to spot your shots on paper, 24x works for my 308 at 300yds in direct sunlight and 32x barely works to see 6.5mm with strong sunlight at 400.
IMHO, an AR deserves a combat scope over spotting scope. Features like more field of view, comfortable eye box, reticle for quick target acquisition and durability over high magnification.

I’m in the same predicament. I have a factory DD MK12 and had a vortex 1-6 on there. Not super satisfied with it due to not great reticle and clarity at 6x is sub par. Thinking about just putting a ta31 ACSS on it, but I’m undecided. The gun is heavy af with even the vortex so I’m not trying to put another 27oz scope on it and I’m just not sure how valuable the added magnification would be. I want it setup as “battle DMR” not just a bullseye bench gun (pardon the tacticool operatorish jargon, but you know you’re all the same). Figured I can get on my man sized steel out to 500 pretty easy with that. What say you all?!

What’s budget friendly? Under 1k or like under $300?

I like the bushnell AR optics for cheap scopes, SWFA fixed 6x, or the strike Eagle. I never beat up a strike Eagle so I don’t know how well it holds zero, but it’s a nice scope. Clear, nice clicks, easy to read reticle.

if you bump up price there’s the SWFA 3-15x42 for $699 new. Those scopes, to me, are perfect for their toughness and flexibility being somewhat “slimmer” in size and being a repeatable clear optic.

There is also the Burris XTRII and they have magnification ranges in the 1-6 up to 5-25. They start getting into a grand.

then finally the SWFA 1-4 HD is also very nice but that is also at $1k.

You'll have to define budget friendly. I'm a Leupold guy because the glass is clear at all magnification settings and they dont get grainy in low light. Leupold is not cheap, but you get a lot for your money. Have a look at the VX-R patrol line in 1.5-4 or 4-12. Itll atleast give you something to compare.

Back
Top Bottom