• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Optics or irons?

As an Appleseed instructor I love irons, and I currently run them well, for irons. However, my "go to" carbine has an Aimpoint. I'm faster on Target, and I can (and have) shot it out to 500 yards. It still wears back up sights, in metal, because electronics can fail and batteries can die.

However, I'm currently in the market for a low power variable scope with illuminated retical for this rifle. I think I won't be significantly slower at closer ranges, and the available magnification will allow me to identify targets better. It was either this or always carry binoculars.

Once the rifle gets her scope I'll likely remove the sights. Most modern "tactical" scopes with etched radicals are probably about as durable as irons. Yes, I know that glass can be broken; but I believe anything that would damage a modern scope would probably also damage sights, or render the rifle inoperable.

I do think you should learn on irons and train as often as possible with irons. Going from irons to scope is much easier than scope to irons.

I have AR's set up with both but with a red dot I like an FSB up front and a fixed rear sight; folding back-ups with a magnified optic.

I do have a removable carry handle on an upper cause I'm old school like that.

I'm curious to the public view, which do you prefer and why optics red dot or magnification or trusty iron. I use irons as my current go to is a A2 with a permanent carry handle. My reasoning and comfort is night or day my sights are there and not easily nocked off. At the range my buddies red dot was useless BC the battery died and even cowitness buis are not as clear in my experience. I see the beauty of the red dot as I used his with multiple rapid hits out to 100yds. I'm not asking what's better because that depends on who you are, I'm just curious who uses what and why. I will always use irons or a scope a dot to me is irons that will fail, but that's me.

Optics.

Good glass draws in lights in far less light than irons will become completely useless in.

Plus, you will need a scope one day. Eagle eyes don't last forever.

Back
Top Bottom