• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

OTF knives on a budget..Include pictures of yours

jbbear6002

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
202   0
Reaction score
I have been looking to buy an OTF knives for the last few weeks, trying to do some research about knives in the $100 or less range.

Most of what I have seen looks like Chinese copies of American knives (I'd like to stay away from ordering a blatant copy) but also do not want to drop $250 on something that will likely be lost.
Some AKC, Automatic Knife Company, knives look interesting, and they are Italian made I believe.

Do any of you all have experience with budget otf's?

I picked up a little 2" blade Chinese knife at a flea market that is very fun to play with, but I don't see it becoming an edc.

I'm in the same boat - why pay hundreds and feel bad when you lose it (or even use it and hurt the value if you resale)? Here's what I have tried:

Vipertec - Nice double edge blade (they have multiple styles) that stays pretty sharp. It broke once and they had me send it back ($8 for shipping to them) and they sent it back. Finish wore off pretty quick carrying it everywhere.

Midtech - Nice blade, stays pretty sharp. Again, the finish wore off pretty quickly. I was really pushing down hard on something I was cutting and the blade disengaged, but I pulled it all the way out manually and it worked fine again.

A guy on ODT sells small ones for around $15, gave one to my dad and he likes it. Had same issue as my Midtech.

Bottom line, I get them cheap (both were in the $60 range I think), so I have no problems using and abusing them. For EDC I tend to believe they will always open unless abused a lot. Maybe not the sharpest knives, but you can keep a pretty good edge on them - good enough for anything I've had to cut. The finishes suck, but who really cares (battle worn?). Good luck! Let me know what you get - if you try the AKC, I'd be interested in a review.

Screenshot_2019-08-06-08-18-50.png

These are a couple of the AKC knives the I have consideredno they look decent enough and are a little different than most of the rest of the boxy otf''s. I will try to go back to the flea market and handle one or two before I order one.

Back
Top Bottom