• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Out of State FFL Question

kdub921

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
3   0
Reaction score
So I own a rifle that is registered to me and I am a GA resident. My friend is a Texas resident and wants to buy it from me. I know that I can't directly sell it to him since he's out of state.

My question is if we both go to a local FFL here in GA, can they facilitate the transfer?

If not, is there any way for me to legally sell him the rifle?

Yes. Local FFL can acquire the rifle from you and then transfer it to your friend from TX. BTW, there is no gun registration in GA. Just because you filled out a 4473 to buy it, it is not registered to you. Common misconception. 4473 is just a form for the dealer to be able to show what he did with it should the need ever arise, such as it being recovered in a criminal investigation.

They do if both parties are not residents of the same state.
Seems like it could be a gray area. No way to prove any transaction, how it was transported, who sold what... "I got it from Billy Bob who got it from grand pappy who got it from so and so who found it in the woods, blah blah..."

Seems like it could be a gray area. No way to prove any transaction, how it was transported, who sold what... "I got it from Billy Bob who got it from grand pappy who got it from so and so who found it in the woods, blah blah..."
Not a gray area according to the law. I didn't say it couldn't be done. I said it wasn't legal. Two different things. People do illegal things all the time. Most get away with it. Some don't. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Just answering the mans question.

Yes. Local FFL can acquire the rifle from you and then transfer it to your friend from TX. BTW, there is no gun registration in GA. Just because you filled out a 4473 to buy it, it is not registered to you. Common misconception. 4473 is just a form for the dealer to be able to show what he did with it should the need ever arise, such as it being recovered in a criminal investigation.

Thanks for the quick response. I know there's not a registry so that may have not been the best choice of words, but if I sell it to him and he goes and uses it in a crime, they can run the serial and see that I bought it, right?

IMO, at least in Georgia, I'm not aware that one has to be able to prove ownership vs possession of a firearm as long as you're not a felon or the weapon is shown by LE to be stolen...If sales/trades/whatever are legally permitted on a venue without BOS or whatever, then LE's case is pointless unless, as I said that the weapon is shown to be stolen..

Back
Top Bottom