• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Out of state inheritance

I've read all the replies and I offer this...Answer the questions: 1) Legal and 2) Sentimental.

Since you didnt qualify how it was determined the said firearms are legal in California. The assumption is that they are. That's quite different than the legal definition of "legal in California."

Let's say they are "Legal" and by that I mean...registered. Then you didn't qualify whether these firearms have any sentimental value.

If they are legal and no sentimental value...I recommend you sell it in California. You are giving up alot of money moving them out of the state where they are legal in possession.

If they are legal and have sentimental value...I recommend you sell it in California and buy another one like it elsewhere. Just kidding. Save the ones that cannot be replaced. Sell everything else.

Legal firearms in California have a higher value for said good reasons. No need to move a Glock 17 that's legal in California and valued much higher and move it to Georgia ODT that's completely worth a lot less. Unless ur one of those Glock sellers that wants more than its worth.

If it was a hand me down python of any condition, that value is much higher in California than anywhere else. Same can be said of any AR and AK. I just wouldn't give up value of them by moving them out.

I've read all the replies and I offer this...Answer the questions: 1) Legal and 2) Sentimental.

Since you didnt qualify how it was determined the said firearms are legal in California. The assumption is that they are. That's quite different than the legal definition of "legal in California."

Let's say they are "Legal" and by that I mean...registered. Then you didn't qualify whether these firearms have any sentimental value.

If they are legal and no sentimental value...I recommend you sell it in California. You are giving up alot of money moving them out of the state where they are legal in possession.

If they are legal and have sentimental value...I recommend you sell it in California and buy another one like it elsewhere. Just kidding. Save the ones that cannot be replaced. Sell everything else.

Legal firearms in California have a higher value for said good reasons. No need to move a Glock 17 that's legal in California and valued much higher and move it to Georgia ODT that's completely worth a lot less. Unless ur one of those Glock sellers that wants more than its worth.

If it was a hand me down python of any condition, that value is much higher in California than anywhere else. Same can be said of any AR and AK. I just wouldn't give up value of them by moving them out.
Agreed. But these are not going to be sold. By “legal” I mean able to be owned. No modern or hi cap anything. This is a collection of hunting rifles/shotguns/revolvers and odds and ends. Lot of WWII stuff as well. He was quite the eccentric collector. Without going into too much detail, these were my x father in laws. Still waiting to find out if they are in a will or if it is a you need to come get these. They are being put aside for my son and grandchildren. This is what he wanted. He is originally from Iowa and it is possible they are located there. Man I hope so!!

Legally, if they are long guns you can ship them via USPS to yourself anywhere in the US. You cannot have someone else do it for you. It has to be you who packages them and drops them off at the post office and shipped to yourself in the place you will be getting them delivered. It can be sent in care of another individual as long as they do not open the package. This method is used quite often when people go out West or to Alaska for a hunt and don't want to fly with their rifles. It would still be expensive. It costs me about $45 to ship a rifle to California from GA. That is of course priority mail with insurance and signature required delivery. If you go that route you could have them held at your local post office for pickup and would possibly save some on signature required delivery. If handguns they have to go to an FFL as long as the FFL in question is willing to accept shipment from an individual and cannot be shipped via USPS. Only an FFL can ship a handgun via USPS.

Here's the legal definition of your "quite a large collection of firearms" for each state:

California:
-Unbelievable cache of guns requiring a separate room in the house the keep them in.
-An arsenal of weapons capable of inflicting heavy casualties on any number of unsuspecting people.

Georgia
-A few guns to shoot at the range on a given Saturday afternoon with the family.
-Variety of guns to take to the ODT meet & greet to show my friends.
-A few guns still in the back seat of the car that I just haven't put back away yet.
-Nice group of guns on display at the ODT river shoot at Geaux's cabin.

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

So is ugly!

Here's the legal definition of your "quite a large collection of firearms" for each state:

California:
-Unbelievable cache of guns requiring a separate room in the house the keep them in.
-An arsenal of weapons capable of inflicting heavy casualties on any number of unsuspecting people.

Georgia
-A few guns to shoot at the range on a given Saturday afternoon with the family.
-Variety of guns to take to the ODT meet & greet to show my friends.
-A few guns still in the back seat of the car that I just haven't put back away yet.
-Nice group of guns on display at the ODT river shoot at Geaux's cabin.

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

So is ugly!
Somewhere between the 2 lmao

Agreed. But these are not going to be sold. By “legal” I mean able to be owned. No modern or hi cap anything. This is a collection of hunting rifles/shotguns/revolvers and odds and ends. Lot of WWII stuff as well. He was quite the eccentric collector. Without going into too much detail, these were my x father in laws. Still waiting to find out if they are in a will or if it is a you need to come get these. They are being put aside for my son and grandchildren. This is what he wanted. He is originally from Iowa and it is possible they are located there. Man I hope so!!

Legal I. California...usually means registered. Just do your due diligence.

But in that case, possession is 9/10th of the law. Get it first and then decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom