• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Out of state inheritance

By the time you've flown, rented, bought gas, posted bail I bet it would be cheaper and safer to get an ffl to ffl shipment usps.

I'm sympathetic to those who suggest that the OP just go and take the guns, but I think they're missing one part of it. Technically, the guns are probably now under the control of the executor of the estate. That person has an obligation to obey all the various California laws I cited the other day. Perhaps the executor is willing to risk it, but to unilaterally decide to create legal trouble for him/her without their permission seems rather careless.

For those who have never lived in an anti-gun jurisdiction (and I have), it's really hard to understand how different the laws and attitudes are. These governments really hate private gun owners and do everything they can to make even simple things difficult and to screw anyone they can. Law-abiding citizens are the easiest for the government to f*** with because they have so much more to lose.

I think the OP will probably have to jump through all of California's hoops to take possession of the guns, but then they can legally either drive them or ship them back as they prefer. There are pros & cons each way, which many posters here have already mentioned.

I would sure like to have some sort of receipt, or an itemized inventory from the will, or some other document certifying that the guns are legally yours before I just hauled them out of California. Don't know if this is possible, but I sure would try to get this to cover my posterior.

I would sure like to have some sort of receipt, or an itemized inventory from the will, or some other document certifying that the guns are legally yours before I just hauled them out of California. Don't know if this is possible, but I sure would try to get this to cover my posterior.

That’s a great point. It’s not like he’s a drug runner, trying to lay low as he moves the goods! I would get the will or some type of legal document stating they are the OPs and then move them. Whoever is facilitating the will can probably help.

Hmmm...I travel with guns (legally stored) in my vehicle all the time. Across many states to shoot matches. It never occurred to me to have a piece of paper that could satisfy some uneducated piece of shyte cop's curiosity as to who owns them.

Hmmm...I travel with guns (legally stored) in my vehicle all the time. Across many states to shoot matches. It never occurred to me to have a piece of paper that could satisfy some uneducated piece of shyte cop's curiosity as to who owns them.

Exactly, when I was active duty I moved literally 10x in 8 years. I lugged all my firearms around from NY, MO, TX, GA, and NC. Never had any issues.

This thread has me thinking too. If you have receipts, I would have a copy of them at least on my cell phone to show some barney fife that they are indeed mine and I am not running guns. With the dates on the receipts and assuming many have been in your possession for years, would be hard for them to claim you are running them.

Rosewood

Exactly, when I was active duty I moved literally 10x in 8 years. I lugged all my firearms around from NY, MO, TX, GA, and NC. Never had any issues.

Good point, but it only takes one time....

Kind of like saying, I have never been robbed, so therefore I don't need to carry a firearm to protect myself.

Back
Top Bottom