• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Out of state transfer question

chaostat

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
258   0
Reaction score
I am working a trade with a border state resident. We are about two hours apart, I fully understand we need to use an FFL. He is willing to drive into GA and transfer to me at my FFL. In tow will be his buddy who is an FFL holder. If I verify the number is active and the FFL holder comes with him with proof of who he is and the FFL, can I give the FFL my pistol to have him transfer back to his buddy in their state?

Thanks!

Sure. Why not?
That out of state FFL dealer is free to buy guns, even handguns, in any state in the country, unless a state's own laws restrict that. Georgia law adds nothing to federal law; our position on interstate transfers of guns is that if it's OK with ATF, then it's OK with Georgia.

On paper, you will have transferred a handgun to a federally licensed dealer in another state. (Even though the handoff took place face-to-face in Georgia).
It's still an interstate transfer, but FFL dealers can acquire guns in interstate transfers . Then, back in that FFL dealer's home state, he sells it to a private citizen who is a resident of that same state.

Back
Top Bottom