• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Outboard Mechanic Needed

rockdawg

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
44   0
Reaction score
Anybody out there know of a good outboard motor mechanic on the east side? I'm having cooling issues with a older Johnson 150.
Was thinking about using Gwinnett Marine. Any opinions on them?

Thanks

Did you change your impeller’ and check your thermostat

Yes I changed the water pump but have not checked the thermostats yet. Even after the new pump I'm getting a weak stream from the tell tale hole. No pressure in the gauge. I have removed the gauge hose and blew thru it and the gauge works. Might order some new thermostats and try them.

Pull your thermostat and run it for a couple minutes with the cover off. My guess is you have corrosion built up behind the tstat causing the blockage. While you have the tstat out replace it. It’s not an expensive part. They get corrosion and debris stuck in them and blocked up. I’m no mechanic, but I’ve fixed the problem this way a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull your thermostat and run it for a couple minutes with the cover off. My guess is you have corrosion built up behind the tstat causing the blockage. While you have the tstat out replace it. It’s not an expensive part. They get corrosion and debris stuck in them and blocked up. I’m no mechanic, but I’ve fixed the problem this way a couple of times.

I tried that yesterday but when I took the covers off there were NO thermostats in there. Just the springs! I did get flow from the thermostat seat area but it was not much pressure. No water ever came out of the engine thru the open cover holes. I have tried back flushing thru the tell tale port and it didn't fix anything.

Back flush it through the thermostat hole. Are u sure there is no thermostat? If there are springs there should be a tstat.

Back
Top Bottom