• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Outboard motor won't go into gear...

you gunna have to be tough to own a Honda outboard , they have 0 service centers in N Ga. impeller is easy, go back to you-tube U and study up.

If you put it in fwd or rev and it dies, bump up the idle a little. There should be an adjustment up by one carb. Impeller is a easy change do you need too? First see how it pumps, if ok let it go and check prior to putting it up in the fall. If it pumps good, why tear into it. My merc (35hp) is a 2010 no impeller yet, maybe next year.
Change the engine oil and filter now, foot oil (looks good) should be good, just top it off.
I think the engine is a 2001. It was bought new in crate by first owner in 2005. I bought it in 2009. It had a full service right before I bought it and nothing since. Impeller was pumping fine last year. I drained the lower unit oil already so its getting replaced.

Just a FYI you don’t need to drain the lower to replace the impeller. Get the whole kit if you do replace it. I would also mark the location of the gear shift shaft, and watch the rotation of the impeller for easier reassembly. They can be installed wrong, on first start it would break it and would need replaced again, just a thought.

Like previously suggested get the manual and watch some utube.

I'm not sure if a 25hp would have this or not but the larger engines have a ignition drop out switch that kicks in when shifting gears. It momentarily neutralizes the load on the drive assembly to make shifting easier and less damaging to the drive train. You might check to see if your model even has that. If it does, it could be out of adjustment or the switch could be bad. I've seen both. Glad you got your oil drained :D. I cant remember how often they recommend changing the impeller but its more often than you would think. Especially if that engine has sat for extended times. The impellers take shape over time and you loose some suction from that.

it has a drain plug on side of gear case to drain gear oil. check for water. has a grease fitting on tiller handle. may be dry & need a shot or 2 of grease. if it has lithium grease could be dried causing shift problems.

Back
Top Bottom