• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Outdoor Range in Hampton Area?

My wife's nephew's are of age to take them out & to teach them how to respect & handle firearms. They live south of Atlanta in an area I'm unfamiliar with since I live further north of Atlanta.

Only place I could find online that looked decent nearby was the Clybel WMA range.

I'm tempted to take them to the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park. I've always wanted to visit there & I'm sure it'd give them a new appreciation of this as a sport they could get into.
Clybel has a very good one

Having a range master there gives peace of mind for sure. The WMA range at Chestnut has me wonder about certain groups or people that arrive, with the amount of bullet holes in the pavilion's roof & post's I worry about safety.

I'm thinking the CMP location might be a good place to start. I'm gonna head out there first and get a feel for the place & have a proper plan for them when we arrive.
We'll never again go to Chestnut Mtn. WMA. Too sketchy and dangerous. Tikker Tikker , we're in the same area. Try Wilson Shoals WMA. It's fully remodeled and very nice, and always has an RO or 2. VERY disciplined/safe shooting sessions. Totally 100% worth the 90 minute drive from Acworth.

Try Wilson Shoals WMA. It's fully remodeled and very nice, and always has an RO or 2. VERY disciplined/safe shooting sessions. Totally 100% worth the 90 minute drive from Acworth.

Thanks for the tip, if I'm up in that direction I'll give it a try. But just did a quick comparison & it looks like the CMP range is the exact distance as Wilson Shoals but they offer rifle distances from 100, 200, 300, & 600. The one thing I've been really missing out on is long distance practice.

Thanks for the tip, if I'm up in that direction I'll give it a try. But just did a quick comparison & it looks like the CMP range is the exact distance as Wilson Shoals but they offer rifle distances from 100, 200, 300, & 600. The one thing I've been really missing out on is long distance practice.
That is very true. I haven't been there myself yet. One of these days...

Clybel I believe is shutdown till around May for “maintenance and renovations”. I have shot there on multiple occasions as it’s close to me and best of all it’s “free”. They have a very nice setup out there and the place is always clean as a whistle and the range masters are always friendly and do their best to ensure proper safety. They have a 50yd and 100yd range as well as a shotgun trap and skeet range

Back
Top Bottom