• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Outdoor Range in Hampton Area?

Tikker

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
My wife's nephew's are of age to take them out & to teach them how to respect & handle firearms. They live south of Atlanta in an area I'm unfamiliar with since I live further north of Atlanta.

Only place I could find online that looked decent nearby was the Clybel WMA range.

I'm tempted to take them to the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park. I've always wanted to visit there & I'm sure it'd give them a new appreciation of this as a sport they could get into.

If this is just a introduction to firearms, stay local. Once they're accustomed to firearms, expand to CMP.

I would hit up ODT member "HunterRS" and see if the Spalding County Sheriff's Department is still doing their Intro to Firearms class.... It's an informative class taught by quality instructors.

Looks like the class is only for 18+, the boy's are only 14 & 16 right now. I'm more looking to get them started on basic long arms like bolt & lever actions. Don't want them getting started with pistols or semi auto rifles until I drill safety & respect for the firearm first.

Clybel is nice. Last heard, still had a range master. Still, I'd avoid weekends.

Having a range master there gives peace of mind for sure. The WMA range at Chestnut has me wonder about certain groups or people that arrive, with the amount of bullet holes in the pavilion's roof & post's I worry about safety.

I'm thinking the CMP location might be a good place to start. I'm gonna head out there first and get a feel for the place & have a proper plan for them when we arrive.

Back
Top Bottom