• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

OUTDOOR RANGE

broberrybiscuit

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
21   0
Reaction score
Hello,

My brother and I both live in the Dallas/Douglasville area and we're major gun enthusiasts but cannot find anywhere worthwhile to shoot/train. The best range I've found is Strongpoint but it's a two-hour drive and they are only open to the public Fri-Sun.

Does anyone in the area have land they would be ok with us shooting on? We would take special care if we were allowed to shoot, clean up after ourselves and bring steel targets, etc.

LOL... Search is your friend. There's been lots of threads on this but the short answer is 'no'.

The simple fact is that Metro ATL area doesn't have much in the way of outdoor ranges.

A few folks have through about buying/leasing land but the liability is huge and the costs are through the roof.

Riverbend and South River are nice outdoor ranges but you need to join and they have rules. The WMAs are generally way the heck out there and have strict rules that may or may not be followed.

There are some paid training facilities but you have to sign up for their courses, and in general they are pretty far away from ATL.

As for private land, unless you have a good friend or family member with some you're out of luck.

The liability for letting random people you met on the internet shoot on your land (making you a responsible party) is off the charts. One screwup and that land is no longer yours.

And even if you have a friend that will let you shoot on their land, if it's in the wrong zoning, or too close to a road or other houses it's not going to be useable either.

Sorry to be a bummer but this kind of question has come up dozens of times over the years. I may have even posted it a decade or so back. the answer has always been what I wrote above.

The 2nd post gave all the answers.

Search a lot of good threads.

YOUR FAMILY may let you shoot. Random internet strangers will not.

I think 50-60 years ago, this would have worked, hey neighbor can I shoot on your land sure Bob come on over.

Now most people want to shoot, but most people don't want to pay 100-200k for property to do so. This is where WMA's and private ranges fill the void as cost effective options.

They just reopened an outdoor range near Charles Elliot WMA it's in Madison, Ga. It's called Clydesdales
a little far, even for me but it's nice to have a range to go to.

Hello,

My brother and I both live in the Dallas/Douglasville area and we're major gun enthusiasts but cannot find anywhere worthwhile to shoot/train. The best range I've found is Strongpoint but it's a two-hour drive and they are only open to the public Fri-Sun.

Does anyone in the area have land they would be ok with us shooting on? We would take special care if we were allowed to shoot, clean up after ourselves and bring steel targets, etc.
There is an outdoor range in Palmetto. Its $175 a year.

Hello,

bottom line aint nobody gonna let you shoot on their land
^^^^^This^^^^^ letting random yahoo's shoot on your property is a liability waiting to happen.

Well, you were close, but no cigar. It is Clybel range and it is in Mansfield. 25 yard pistol and 100 yard rifle. Autofill is not your friend.
They just reopened an outdoor range near Charles Elliot WMA it's in Madison, Ga. It's called Clydesdales
a little far, even for me but it's nice to have a range to go to.

Hello,

This: https://thecmp.org/ranges/talladega-marksmanship-park/ 30.00 daily fee and has the best ranges. It is best to go on a week day and weekends can be hectic. 25, 50, 100, 600 yard ranges and one range unknown distance. They also have steel range, plus skeet and trap. One of the nicest facilities I've shot at.

Join a good hunting club with a lease on some land. My former one in Commerce had a bench for 100 yards, and sometimes up to a 500 yard shot, depending on cutting.

One hour from Lawrenceville. No facilities, and around $500 a year. That worked for me for 20 years. You will have to curtail your shooting during hunting season(s), but otherwise no one should care.

That's your solution.

(And don't ask; I'm not naming the club.)

Back
Top Bottom