• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Outdoor Ranges in Metro Atlanta?

Riverbend is a great place to shoot and well worth the initiation fee. If you have kids, there is a .22 plinking range that is a lot of fun and they also enjoy the plate racks. If you like shotguns then there are also skeet and trap and 5 stand and sporting clay courses and a lot of organized shoots. It’s run very well. The biggest plus for me was not having to subject my kids to the yahoos at the local indoor ranges. I’ve seen people shoot themselves and muzzle sweeps so common that I just couldn’t stand it anymore.

I have been to River Bend to shoot matches many times. It's absolutely a well run club, very nice and the folks I've met that are members were super helpful to guests shooting the matches. If I lived only an hour or hour and a half away, I'd ask to be a member.

If you would like a tour of River Bend Gun Club send an e-mail to clubmanager@rbgc.org, I'm sure he would be happy to take you on a tour of the facility. There's 29 ranges on 377 acres and it's like nothing you've ever seen.
Here's a quick aerial view of most of the club....
RiverbendGunClub working picture.jpg

I'm a member at South River. I think the current initiation fee for a membership is $500, then $300 annually for a family membership. You fill out the paperwork, get an orientation and that's it. You're a member. A major downside for me is that you can only use the rifle range by appointment and while the clubhouse is open on Wednesdays and the weekend. Trap and skeet are only available when the clubhouse is open, too. All of the pistol and tactical ranges are available to members and their guests pretty much any daylight hours.

I know River Bend has a much higher initiation fee and the membership process is much more complicated requiring sponsors and approval at a bored meeting or something. However, they do have a 600 yard rifle range. SR is only 300.
Bear44 Bear44 do you know about the pistol ranges at South River? Is it something like this...

Screenshot from 2019-03-08 09-52-12.png

Or this...
shooting-practice1.png

I'm interested in finding a club where you could set up your own little area where you can move around and shoot -- like say practicing defensive skills, shooting from behind cover. Not so much where everybody is standing in a straight line and you have to wait for everyone to stop shooting before you go replace your target.

Bear44 Bear44 do you know about the pistol ranges at South River? Is it something like this...

View attachment 2039810

Or this...
View attachment 2039812

I'm interested in finding a club where you could set up your own little area where you can move around and shoot -- like say practicing defensive skills, shooting from behind cover. Not so much where everybody is standing in a straight line and you have to wait for everyone to stop shooting before you go replace your target.

You can set up the bay as you wish at River Bend.
You sign in and it's your bay.
Rough count would be about 15 of them....

Use this link and click on the map for pictures....
http://www.rbgc.org/RangeMap.html

View attachment 2039810

Or this...
View attachment 2039812

Both. They have a bull's eye range, but they have a bunch (around 20) of tactical pits of various sizes and shapes. All of the pits have many target stands on them that you can set up pretty much any way you want, though they do have to be within a certain marked distance from the berm. One of the pits even has a tower. I believe there are barriers that you can use, but I just set up some extra target stands as barriers. Each pit has it's own covered table and bench area. Most of the pits are plenty big enough for some run and gun.

There is also a rather large cowboy action "town" that they set shooting stages on for competitions. During them they are shooting into the side berms of a large range, but I don't know if they allow shooting into the side berm there other than that.

http://southrivergunclub.com/

Back
Top Bottom