• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Outdoor Shooting Range within 2 hours of Atlanta?

Couple of questions about Wilson Shoals, guys.

1. Is there a height requirement for your target stands?

2. Do they have benches?

3. Do they have a broom and dustpan for brass clean up, or do you need your own?

4. Do you have to take your brass with you, or can you dispose of it there?

Man I miss going to the Redlands.

I really need to practice at 50-75 yards and Wilson shoals seems to fit the bill. I found info on the WMA shooting ranges on the DNR site, but I'm sure things vary from range to range.

1)Target stands are supposed to be high enough that your bullet hits the berm at all state WMA ranges without skipping off the ground. I think most have berms at different distances probably 25 and 100. ( I think Charlie Elliot has one at 15 too ) wilson Shoals I think is 25 and 75
2)Yes Wilson Shoals and the other WMA ranges I've been to have benches.
3) I cant remember about the broom and dustpan but they probably have one.
4) Yes you can leave your brass in the brass disposal. ( Though if you got any .300RUM or 25-06 I'd love to have it)

The corrugated plastic signs with the wire stands on the side of the road are in most places illegal if placed in the right of way and make great target stands. Do your community a favor and pick em up and shoot holes in em at the range. + you gotta love the price. The ones that have one wooden stake tend to get shot in half since the support is in the middle of the target. Cardboard boxes blow away in the wind if not anchored.Get the wire ones and dont be a tourist:)

The DNR website has a list of WMA shooting ranges statewide on their website but its kind of tough to navigate. If you can find it they have driving directions too.

Last edited:
There is an outdoor WMA up I75 at exit 320, near resaca, not sure what the name is but have been there probably 10 times, pretty nice place

I would like to give creekside a try, but that 3 seconds between shots is truly annoying.

This is new to me - so you can't fire at a rate more than one bullet every three seconds? I guess it's not that big of a deal for what I would be doing - practicing at longer ranges than I can indoors. . . .

Back
Top Bottom