• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Outdoor Shooting Range within 2 hours of Atlanta?

I shoot at WMA ranges at Snake Creek Gap in Resaca and at the Sumac Creek Range north of Eton. Both are 5 dollars and have no range master. They are both 100 yard ranges. I shoot there often.

I have been to the Adairsville Sporting Range once and I won't be back again regardless of how bad I want to shoot. He has rules, of course but he doesn't have to be a DICK about it. The day my friend and I walked in he pulled a Southpark Cartman "RESPECT MY AUTHORITIIIII!!!" kind of attitude. One of my carbines wasn't in a rifle bag when we walked in the door and he went all Insurance-this-and-Insurance-that and Rules-this-and-Rules-that... He was very condescending to the both of us and we are both seasoned shooters. He did have a bag ready to "Rent" us however to keep us in compliance. My first reaction is that he was either an ex-military guy who needed to push people around to maintain his sanity or either an ex-cop who couldn't make it on the force. Of course, I know nothing about the guy but as a consumer, it's my right to write a review of his business and my experience at his establishment. He got our 30 or so dollars for 1/2 hour of shooting time and made us sign a couple memberships, waivers, etc, etc, etc, etc... I won't be back and would not recommend anybody else to go there either unless you don't have a problem with business owners treating their customers like idiots. I suspect that he wouldn't treat guys in uniform the same way. I'm just saying.

The Adairsville range was adequate for shooting all types of firearms so I'll give him that much. He had a halfway decent setup.

I miss a couple things moving from PA. And one is the availibilty of free ranges within 5 miles of home. Also reasonable priced gun clubs. My son belongs to 3 all have outdoor ranges up to 800 yards. Two have indoor ranges as well. Price each less then 80 bucks a year one is only $50. So why is the local range to me $600 yr with a$600 initiation fee? One thing may be the clubs in PA also have a bar and have various fund raising like a winning number weekly, raffles, snack bar etc...

I shot at adairsville a couple of times, did not have the bad experience that WMS had. Thinking about getting the membership,but would like a longer rifle range,think the longest is 100 yds.

We could have caught him on a bad day or something but he started in on us before we had a chance to shut the door behind us. He didn't let up with the greater than thou attitude until we put on our hearing protection. If I didn't absolutely need to get some shooting in with my buddy that day, we would have told him to shove it and got back in our car. We both had decided to go shooting on our lunch break to test out his pistol we had done some work on. We are both employed in professional fields and were dressed business casual the day we went. We were both clean cut and looked respectful. I still don't get it. Maybe it was because we didn't have mustaches... I don't know.

Don't get me wrong - asholes are asholes, but I would give range masters the benefit of the doubt. Can you imagine the ignorant pricks that they must have to deal with on a daily basis that likely do put other shooters at risk?

I guess that means they have to treat everyone as an ignorant prick up front? I think not. I have thoroughly enjoyed every other range I have ever been to. What it really comes down to is business. If they want mine, then treat me the way I expect to be treated. Otherwise, I'll take my money somewhere else.

No problem on my end, that's happened to me before too as far as what the hell was that all about, but not there.

We could have caught him on a bad day or something but he started in on us before we had a chance to shut the door behind us. He didn't let up with the greater than thou attitude until we put on our hearing protection. If I didn't absolutely need to get some shooting in with my buddy that day, we would have told him to shove it and got back in our car. We both had decided to go shooting on our lunch break to test out his pistol we had done some work on. We are both employed in professional fields and were dressed business casual the day we went. We were both clean cut and looked respectful. I still don't get it. Maybe it was because we didn't have mustaches... I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom