• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Outdoor Storage For Emergency Kit

skidmarc

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
31   0
Reaction score
I am looking to split my emergency kit and store one part outside and I am looking for recommendations. Obviously I need it to be weather tight and secure, any thought?

I am looking at ammo cans that I can scatter under my shed and those 20 gallon porch storage units at Home Despot with a lock installed. I cannot do any heavy DIY as I only have basic tools not a shop, so a little limited there. I have some non stainless steel knives and other similar items that will need protecting. I am assuming I will need a means of dehumidifying the containers.

As you can see I am not an expert on this please give details on your suggestions so I and other can get it right however we go about doing it.

You can use PVC pipe, capped on both ends. Six or eight inch wide in eight foot and longer lengths is cheap and easy to cut to your preferred length with a hand saw. Capping is as simple as reading the directions on the sealant sold at Lowes. You can use it for storing all manner of equipment or supplies. You can use desiccant or a sock full of rice to mitigate moisture. Ammo cans work good. Just make sure you check the seals before you use them. I little grease (almost like vasoline) couldn't hurt on the seal. Just make sure that the grease you choose is compatible so it doesn't degrade your seal. A coat of sealant on the outside of the metal ones should mitigate rust longer. Be careful of where you bury them. If they are watertight, they are also buoyant. If there is flooding, they may surface and float away (like a casket in a flooded cemetery). That would suck. If you need more detail, just tell me where to be more articulate.

Back
Top Bottom