• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Overcoming Fear

What's wrong with jumping out of planes?
I am not a lover of height these days but when I joined the military in 1957, I was anxious about everything. I enlisted for Airborne, not knowing if I had the guts to jump. Well I made it and for three years in the 101st even though I still had this fear, I was going to do it, even if I died.
I've seen guys freeze in fear and panic . There is nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone is different and probably all of us have some kind of phobia. Nothing to fear but fear itself as President Roosevelt so eloquently said.
Went to jump school as part of my training. It wasn't the jumping that scared the **** out of me it was the flying. I was happy to get out of the plane.
I just feel completely helpless flying and don't enjoy it at all. Flown all over the world and can honestly say that I never enjoyed a flight.
My last flight was New Years Eve 1999 (Y 2K) coming back from NYC. I stepped off the plane looked back and said "I'm done." and I was.
Like the OP anything higher than a 6' ladder these days I start getting vertigo.

Went to jump school as part of my training. It wasn't the jumping that scared the **** out of me it was the flying. I was happy to get out of the plane.
I just feel completely helpless flying and don't enjoy it at all. Flown all over the world and can honestly say that I never enjoyed a flight.
My last flight was New Years Eve 1999 (Y 2K) coming back from NYC. I stepped off the plane looked back and said "I'm done." and I was.
Like the OP anything higher than a 6' ladder these days I start getting vertigo.

When I was in Germany , I was the Site Chief on a mountain 2000 ft high. This was a picture taken of the antenna towers . One was 193 ft and the other 88 ft. There was a light beacon at the very top and it was a challenge changing that bulb. As I was changing it one day a German F105 buzzed us. I could see the Pilot and he gave me a wave. That was interesting.

Attachments

• Relay Austin.jpg
    Relay Austin.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 2
We just aren’t as strong when we get old, and that makes high work so much more dangerous. Listen to your brain and your body.

I can force myself to a degree but that anxiety leading up to making myself do it sucks :lol: I know rationally 10-15 ft isn’t anything to really worry about yet when the time comes I can’t do it without going through every possible bad scenario
A relative fell off an 8' ladder and broke his hip. Got an infection and almost died from it. Major loss of family income for a year or two. It's a legitimate concern (I wouldn't call it fear). I don't know how old you are, but at 62 I still do it, but I'm much more cautious. We aren't as supple as we age.

Back
Top Bottom