• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Overcoming Fear

I can force myself to a degree but that anxiety leading up to making myself do it sucks :lol: I know rationally 10-15 ft isn’t anything to really worry about yet when the time comes I can’t do it without going through every possible bad scenario
Fell wrong of a 6 ft ladder,landed on my shoulder and felt that **** for 2 yrs...10 to 15 will kill yo ass if you fall wrong..I hate heights..:nod:

Never liked heights. Worked in construction for 40yrs. In fact every job I've ever had was dangerous. I fell last year off an extension ladder on the concrete and hit my head on concrete. After a trip to the ER, 5 stitches, 13 staples and a $25k bill you might be on to something. At some point in our life we have to stop taking those risk. Not fun, but we live healthier and longer that way

Fell wrong of a 6 ft ladder,landed on my shoulder and felt that **** for 2 yrs...10 to 15 will kill yo ass if you fall wrong..I hate heights..:nod:
I remember an article some years back where a man fell from a 6' ladder in his garage, while change the bulb in the door opener. He landed flat on his butt and as soon as his wife ran out the door he told her he loved her, then fell over dead. The way he landed drove his spine into his brain. I'm sure Google can find the article..

I remember an article some years back where a man fell from a 6' ladder in his garage, while change the bulb in the door opener. He landed flat on his butt and as soon as his wife ran out the door he told her he loved her, then fell over dead. The way he landed drove his spine into his brain. I'm sure Google can find the article..
I don't think that is quite the help OP had in mind.

There's something about being "connected" to the ground that makes it real for me. Flying in aircraft, hot air balloons, even open doors on UH-1s or Blackhawks is fun to me. Standing on the ledge of a 150' drop about to test my knots for a rappelling class used to terrify me (especially since I tied the knots). Just had to keep doing it until I lost that terrifying fear. I have a healthy respect for heights after hitting rock faces hard and thankfully never fell far. I don't climb anymore though. I still hate climbing a 24' extension ladder to work on the house.

There's something about being "connected" to the ground that makes it real for me. Flying in aircraft, hot air balloons, even open doors on UH-1s or Blackhawks is fun to me. Standing on the ledge of a 150' drop about to test my knots for a rappelling class used to terrify me (especially since I tied the knots). Just had to keep doing it until I lost that terrifying fear. I have a healthy respect for heights after hitting rock faces hard and thankfully never fell far. I don't climb anymore though. I still hate climbing a 24' extension ladder to work on the house.
Yep, mind over matter, at least the best you can. Until it catches up with you......LOL....Then if you survive, you start making better decisions.......I used to walk 2x4 walls along with other various things when needed, might still could. It's just not the best decision anymore. I do loose my balance from time to time and I don't heal as fast as I used too. I have enough health problems without adding to the list

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Back
Top Bottom