• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Owner of The Rifleman in Macon found guilty!

I'm not so sure about prison just yet. I know what the 'possible' sentence is, but it's unlikely he'll spend time in prison. If I'm wrong, so be it. I haven't had a decent bbq'd crow in some time.
I wasn't trying to be a jerk in my previous. Just rushed for time. The article reads that the shop manager plead a deal and will serve 1 year. Based on the prior reported issues, it looks like the owner could definitely do some time. It's a shame, but it looks like ATF has their sights set on making an example.

Whatever happened, if the check bounced and paperwork was never filed, someone screwed up big time. And you can't blame the seller for pressing the issue. He's likely out $20K+ unless he can get the gun returned.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CORRECTION: it says he "faces" up to a year.

From the article:
In March, McGirt, charged for his part in the case along with Mann last May, accepted a plea agreement for making false entries in the store’s records and faces up to one year in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Mann, expected to be sentenced in June, faces a maximum penalty of ten years’ imprisonment, a $250,000 fine, or both.

I guess we'll find out at sentencing. I would buy a Lahti for 10k for sure. He's had a few civil cases brought against him (anyone can look these up) but word on da skreet is ATF is looking to make some cases.

I guess we'll find out at sentencing. I would buy a Lahti for 10k for sure. He's had a few civil cases brought against him (anyone can look these up) but word on da skreet is ATF is looking to make some cases.
The way they've been after the "solvent trap" folks lately, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not so sure about prison just yet. I know what the 'possible' sentence is, but it's unlikely he'll spend time in prison. If I'm wrong, so be it. I haven't had a decent bbq'd crow in some time.

I would be willing to bet he gets prison time. He turned down a no prison plea deal to go to trial on the advice of a disbarred attorney . Mistakes were made .

I wouldn't be surprised about their being civil suits against them going back years. I was only in their shop once when it was in the old location. I went there with a guy I know who later bought Emmett Head Auto Salvage further down 247. He basico had to hunt the owner down to get back a couple of consignment pieces that had been there for several months. And it took so long because they were never there at the shop. If they were there they were packing up to go to a gun show or just getting back. When we walked in to retrieve Jack's Brownings I sat down at a table where there was a Stem just laying on the table with a $6K price tag hanging from the trigger guard. Point is Jack had to jump through hoops and hunt the guy down just to get his hardware back.
One old friend of mine knows Mann and he told me " Mark's dad had money and funded the operation until it broke him. And I believe that. I've said more than once that the C3\ NFA game is a very serious bidness. The ATF knows that most C3 dealers have plenty of money and assets. So they give them plenty of rope to hang themselves with. Then they can find any little bull**** paperwork error and take everything. Not saying that was the case at the Rifleman. That sounds like General Dumbassery to me. But you can't half ass it when you play that game.

David Mann was a straight up guy, well respected around Macon area. Mark Mann is a whole other story, his civil cases against him are around the same time as the federal.

I don't understand how the registered owner of an NFA weapon would let the buyer drive away with it PRIOR to seeing ATF-approved paperwork. I'm not a Class III SOT or otherwise any sort of gun dealer, so I have no personal experience in how dealer-to-dealer transfers work. All the NFA stuff I've owned have been locally purchased on Form 4's here in Georgia or made myself on my own Form 1's.

QUOTE from ARTICLE in original post:

"...in November 2014, a Michigan gun owner contacted the ATF to tell them Mann’s shop manager, Henry McGirt, drove there to purchase the Lahti for $4,000 in cash and two checks totaling $5,500. The problem was that the checks had bounced after the manager left with the gun, deemed a destructive device under NFA guidelines as its bore– 20mm– was higher than .50 caliber. No NFA transfer paperwork was submitted for the gun."

NO N.F.A. PAPERWORK WAS SUBMITTED ??? When was it supposed to be submitted?
Before taking possession of the gun? Within a certain number of business days after the Georgia dealership acquired it?

if it is a dealer to dealer you do a form 3 which takes about 6-8 weeks then the dealer can take possession of nfa item once approved. if its a individual to dealer then a form 4 has to be done, then you looking 6-8 months at that point. Either way both parties knowingly broke federal law

Back
Top Bottom