• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Owner of The Rifleman in Macon found guilty!

I don't understand how the registered owner of an NFA weapon would let the buyer drive away with it PRIOR to seeing ATF-approved paperwork. I'm not a Class III SOT or otherwise any sort of gun dealer, so I have no personal experience in how dealer-to-dealer transfers work. All the NFA stuff I've owned have been locally purchased on Form 4's here in Georgia or made myself on my own Form 1's.

QUOTE from ARTICLE in original post:

"...in November 2014, a Michigan gun owner contacted the ATF to tell them Mann’s shop manager, Henry McGirt, drove there to purchase the Lahti for $4,000 in cash and two checks totaling $5,500. The problem was that the checks had bounced after the manager left with the gun, deemed a destructive device under NFA guidelines as its bore– 20mm– was higher than .50 caliber. No NFA transfer paperwork was submitted for the gun."

NO N.F.A. PAPERWORK WAS SUBMITTED ??? When was it supposed to be submitted?
Before taking possession of the gun? Within a certain number of business days after the Georgia dealership acquired it?
excellent point. It should not have been physically transferred until a transfer was approved.

However, if it was a private seller, I could easily see how the seller might not have known that or understood the transfer process. He probably took the dealers word for it and thought it was a done deal. That doesn't mean that the seller didn't break the law, either knowingly or unknowingly, but the dealer that bought it, knew exactly what they were doing and that it was not legal.

Do you know that, or are you guessing? Just wondering if the Lahti might be on his books as a repair, but it can't be if he has a type 1 with an SOT.

if it is a dealer to dealer you do a form 3 which takes about 6-8 weeks then the dealer can take possession of nfa item once approved. if its a individual to dealer then a form 4 has to be done, then you looking 6-8 months at that point. Either way both parties knowingly broke federal law
Its starting to look like the ATF is gonna wind up with the anti tank gun and either blowtorch it into pieces or stick it in their huge vault.

Maybe some police agency can use a 20 mm rifle to put an early end to some high-speed car chases.
I imagine one shot in the engine block would turn a car chase into a foot chase within a few seconds.

Its starting to look like the ATF is gonna wind up with the anti tank gun and either blowtorch it into pieces or stick it in their huge vault.
It was reported to the registry as stolen. Hopefully it will be returned to the rightful owner.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom