• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

+P Ammo question

I only shoot +p 38 if the firearm is rated for it or in .357 firearms, the extra pressure can be to much for standard 38 spl hand gun

I'd prob avoid it in the colt but shoot whatever you want out of the ruger. they are made to be able to handle the hottest loads out there. I don't think there was a .357 ever made that the old security series couldn't handle

Dadgum, I hate to the be the contrarian, BUT .......

.38 SPL +P ain't all that +P. The .38 SPL along with many other older rounds, has been downrated by SAAMI over the years,, and by the ammo companies. The .38 SPL was downrated in 1972.

If you check the SAAMI specs before then or a reloading manual of that vintage, you will find that today's .38 SPL +p is yesterday's standard police loading.

At one time Colt had a notice about firing +P in a the D frame revolvers, and recommended sending the alum. frame ones in after every 1000 rounds of +P. (The notice has been taken down in one of the Colt reorganizations) Being the owner of several snubbies, I can't imagine firing 1000 rounds of +p in one, but it certainly isn't unsafe for the occasional cylinder full. FWIW, the modern +P round was developed for the FBI for use in it's 2 and 4 inch revolvers, and became the standard police round.

The pre-1970 SAAMI max for .38 SPL was 21,500 psi compared to the current 17,000 psi. So a standard pre-1972 near max. load is today's +P load. So you have to decide if a 1970's revolver built to handle the standard loads of it's era suddenly can't handle those loads because the nomenclature changed.

If you check the PSI or calculate it for most advertised +P loads, you will find that they are below the max. for today's wimpy .38 SPL. The exception being the loads from specialty loaders like Buffalo.

FWIW, European loads are loaded to CIP standards, it's current .38 SPL max. load is 21,750 psi, and they don't have a "+p" loading.

Dadgum, I hate to the be the contrarian, BUT .......

.38 SPL +P ain't all that +P. The .38 SPL along with many other older rounds, has been downrated by SAAMI over the years,, and by the ammo companies. The .38 SPL was downrated in 1972.

If you check the SAAMI specs before then or a reloading manual of that vintage, you will find that today's .38 SPL +p is yesterday's standard police loading.

At one time Colt had a notice about firing +P in a the D frame revolvers, and recommended sending the alum. frame ones in after every 1000 rounds of +P. (The notice has been taken down in one of the Colt reorganizations) Being the owner of several snubbies, I can't imagine firing 1000 rounds of +p in one, but it certainly isn't unsafe for the occasional cylinder full. FWIW, the modern +P round was developed for the FBI for use in it's 2 and 4 inch revolvers, and became the standard police round.

The pre-1970 SAAMI max for .38 SPL was 21,500 psi compared to the current 17,000 psi. So a standard pre-1972 near max. load is today's +P load. So you have to decide if a 1970's revolver built to handle the standard loads of it's era suddenly can't handle those loads because the nomenclature changed.

If you check the PSI or calculate it for most advertised +P loads, you will find that they are below the max. for today's wimpy .38 SPL. The exception being the loads from specialty loaders like Buffalo.

FWIW, European loads are loaded to CIP standards, it's current .38 SPL max. load is 21,750 psi, and they don't have a "+p" loading.

That's good straight thinking! :becky:

another good straight forward thinking is that there is a reason that both SAAMI and reloading manuals have backed off pressures, the age of the pushing a 44 spl to 44 mag has past, now we are into putting 500 plus Horse power engines in cars that are governed to 100 MPH.
it is/ was a fad.
another fact is that the metal in a weapon slowly fatigues as its used.
But again to many calibers out there for me to push limits on a particular medium powered caliber, IF I need more power than a 38 then there is always the 357, 41 mag, the 9 MM, 38 Super, 40 ,45 and 10 MM.
but again everybody has opinions.

Some good answers above. I wanted to shoot and carry +p and +p+ in my 9mm, but had some concerns about ammo price and feeding my guns a steady diet of high pressure stuff. So I stopped the debate and upagrade to 357 sig.

You could do the same...just carry a 357 mag with 38 +p's or full power 357 loads.

Back
Top Bottom