• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

P220 vs 1911

My first 1911 was a Springfield compact that I bought used in college. It was a steaming pile of **** that wouldn’t feed air. I eventually traded it in on a SIG P220ST, which was buy far the nicest pistol I owned at the time. It was 100% reliable, even with the 22 conversion kit I got on here.

Fast forward a decade, I got the itch for a 1911 again. I must admit, I got extremely lucky and stumbled across a $600 SIG 1911, LNIB and fully loaded on here......jumped on it. I guess I never really knew what a nice trigger was until buying this gun and how a gun could be so damn accurate. Range trip, after range trip I found myself leaving the 220 behind, which eventually lead to me selling at a huge lost.

If you have a chance, try them out. I prefer the 1911, but for an SAO carry gun the P220 Carry SAO would be a close second.

The P220 Carry SAO is less expensive than any of the 1911’s I would recommend to put up against it. MSRP is $999, so retail is less than that.

I like the trigger/trigger reset better in the 1911, and the lower bore axis.

Arguably, the P220 SAO would be the more reliable gun, depending on what manufacture/model of 1911 you are comparing it to. If you’re not willing to sink a chunk o’ change into a 1911, or pay to have a good base model tuned up, then I’d go with the P220 Carry SAO.

I've had a police trade in 220 and many 1911's- Colt, SA, AMT. The Colts worked, the AMT worked, the SA's needed break in.

I've spent a lot of money upgrading a 1911 and still wasn't in love with the gun although I love the 1911 as an iconic classic Browning gun.

The 220 was not pretty when I got it and I fired it a LOT. The 220 never had an issue.

The 220 trigger got better and better until it was on par with a custom tuned trigger in a 1911 that cost a lot of money.

I mostly carry the P229 but have be considering swapping to the P220. I like the look of a 1911 and have been wanting one for a range gun. I can shoot the P220 SA if I want or get a SAO. Im trying justify to myself why or why not I should get 1911. ATM I keep talking myself out of it. I do not intend to CC a 1911 and will mostly be a range toy.
I have a 226 in 9mm that I have listed on here at a great price in hopes of getting a 229. Mine only has one trip to the range and 50 round box of brass through it.

I have a 226 in 9mm that I have listed on here at a great price in hopes of getting a 229. Mine only has one trip to the range and 50 round box of brass through it.

I like the 226. I have a Legion 40sw and a Scorpion 9mm. They are my range toys because I carry the 229. I have three 220s and another in the mail. Ive just been considering a 1911 again. With the 220 having a SAO option Im not sure as to why I need a 1911 but I still want one. I just cant justify any other reason than Its cool to own.

For carry I will only carry a Sig 229,226,220 239,225 and perhaps some other version of the metal pistol.

Just trying to talk myself into or out of a 1911. The P220 SAO is similiar and the 1911 is a 1911. Was hoping to get feedback from those that already own both. Which do you prefer?
I have been using both for some time, and although my carry Sig is a P229, I bet it’s about the same thickness as a P220. I’ll be selling my Sig soon and upgrading my 1911 (commander size) at the same time, then using the 1911 as my EDC. There’s just something about the SAO trigger press and thinness about them, plus the fact my thumb doesn’t accidentally press down on the slide release lever when a magazine goes empty like it does on a Sig or Glock. I also tend to point a 1911 more naturally on drawing & pressing out.

Back
Top Bottom