• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

P226 magazines in a Canik

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
So I’ve been researching this some and decided to try it. I bought a 18 round Sig P226 made by Mec-Gar and thus far, this is my findings.

Dimensionally they’re almost identical, slight differences here and there
D9E8E2B9-B42B-448E-AF8A-F259552316CE.jpeg

8FC03FC7-F159-4CBB-9226-63623E4C6E36.jpeg

935B92DD-907D-48A8-9D7B-36E2C116F6EE.jpeg

The base plates are perfectly interchangeable
D71B7AF9-F51B-4A96-8261-9C104408E5D7.jpeg

As it appears, the followers seem to be as well
9FCEB591-A58F-4490-BD8F-11F01D325799.jpeg

I took it out and test fired it. Now I knew the magazine catch would need modified so I had to hold the magazine in so it wouldn’t fall out. Essentially the Canik mag catch sits maybe 1/16” or so higher than the Sig, so that will need opened up some. Two other spots I’ve found are:

Here..the Sigs shallower cut engages the slide stop, locking the slide every round
3A7AE727-FACB-4863-BDB4-312F10A3FB6B.jpeg

35A2B575-5989-4913-88B8-8789D298E648.jpeg

And here (the Canik magazine has a small relief cut for the ejector, the Sig does not so it barely connects there)
08FB8909-1C5B-4177-9A04-7271777125FA.jpeg

As of now I haven’t started cutting, just getting this thread started for anyone else that may want to try it. And being there’s an AWB level shortage of these magazines, I figured maybe it’d be worth trying.

Now I’m no gunsmith, nor am I responsible for damage done to you or your firearm if you try this.

Update. Success!...sort of

I made the cuts in the pictured areas and got everything to fit. If you do this, GO SLOW! I know I shouldn’t have to say this, folks here are pretty intelligent. But take a little off, try the fitment, repeat as needed until it will fit.

I ran into one small area that kinda sucks. The BHO on the Sig follower got in the way. To the point that one time it got stuck between the follower and the magazine body and I almost couldn’t get it out of the gun. I had to pretty much file that down to the point it doesn’t function anymore. So I say all this to say: This can, and probably will, work. I took it in the backyard and rapid fired 4 rounds through it and it functioned fine. The only thing these magazines won’t do is lock open on the last round. This isn’t a huge deal to me, a bit of a bummer, but not the end of the world. Time will tell how reliable they turn out to be, but minus the BHO issue, it seems to work.

I’ve recently found a few in stock at some lesser known, obscure websites. I already had all the tools to do this so the Sig magazines themselves were all I had to buy, they were $28/ea. I vote that if you can find factory mags, even if they’re expensive, then buy factory mags. But back when this was posted there were practically none to be found.

Update. Success!...sort of

I made the cuts in the pictured areas and got everything to fit. If you do this, GO SLOW! I know I shouldn’t have to say this, folks here are pretty intelligent. But take a little off, try the fitment, repeat as needed until it will fit.

I ran into one small area that kinda sucks. The BHO on the Sig follower got in the way. To the point that one time it got stuck between the follower and the magazine body and I almost couldn’t get it out of the gun. I had to pretty much file that down to the point it doesn’t function anymore. So I say all this to say: This can, and probably will, work. I took it in the backyard and rapid fired 4 rounds through it and it functioned fine. The only thing these magazines won’t do is lock open on the last round. This isn’t a huge deal to me, a bit of a bummer, but not the end of the world. Time will tell how reliable they turn out to be, but minus the BHO issue, it seems to work.
Wish I lived in your pew-pew friendly neighborhood.

I’ve recently found a few in stock at some lesser known, obscure websites. I already had all the tools to do this so the Sig magazines themselves were all I had to buy, they were $28/ea. I vote that if you can find factory mags, even if they’re expensive, then buy factory mags. But back when this was posted there were practically none to be found.
I’m like that, don’t hesitate to mod, I had a post up here a while ago showing how to fashion a magazine baseplate-stop out of a PCI slot cover from an old pc. This was for an old Zastava M1970 7.65 Browning tack-driver.
D0E4C9D3-A1C8-4B42-8FF5-3E9E65C4997A.jpeg

That’s awesome! It’s satisfying to know how to do it and make it work. When the boog hits and people can’t get their guns to work, leave it to the rednecks with the dremels :lol:

W
That’s awesome! It’s satisfying to know how to do it and make it work. When the boog hits and people can’t get their guns to work, leave it to the rednecks with the dremels :lol:
Who you callin’ redneck? My granpappy, a real Kentucky Colonel, Rifleman and full time Hillbilly, gave me his vintage Dremel. By golly.

Back
Top Bottom