• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

P320 Vs. P250 question

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
Read online and all over that the trigger is better on the 320. I had falsely thought the 320 was a single action striker fired trigger and the 250 was a DAO hammer fired trigger. Sig claims both guns are DAO with a 6.5lb trigger pull. As someone used to a 1911 SAO trigger I moved to a springfield XD for a carry gun finally starting to veer off of the 1911 for carry due to comfort. Unfortunately after some shooting I come to find my thumb rests right on the slide release/lock lever and sometimes lock it open with rounds in the mag, or hold it closed on empty. After so many years/rounds with a 1911 I just have a naturally high grip on a firearm.

Handling the 320/250 at adventure the lever ends up above and behind my natural grip on the weapon fixing this potential life threatening issue. Of course Adventure is very anti dry fire so I didn't test the triggers. Anybody with some experience with both that can tell me what they think from personal experience other than just the 320 is better? also, does anyone make trigger kits for either gun that brings it to the 3.5-4lb trigger pull mark closer to what I'm used to, or is it take it to somebody competent and let them do some polish work to the trigger to lighten it up?

There is a flat face trigger available but I don't know anything about it other than Yankee Marshall saying it's a big improvement.

I own a P250 and have shot the P320 (not extensively). The frames are basically the same. Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the FCG is interchangeable between frames?? (P250 and P320)

The P250 is a hammer fired DAO. The pull is loooooooong and reset is looooong. My pull is pretty smooth, but target shooting will really test your trigger control techniques from the previously mentioned long trigger pull. The actual mechanism is very simple, yet it gets a horrid wrap due to possible reliability issues that have come up under some more rigorous testing. My personal P250 in 45acp has never failed me in the 500-ish rounds I have owned it, and I knew the previous owner who had put ALOT through it. It has cycled hollow points, semi-wad cutters, and regular ball ammo reliably. Grip ergonomics are virtually identical to the P320. It is very comfortable to hold and doesn't seem to have the same perceived high bore axis that some of the other tradition metal framed Sig pistols have.

All that said, buy the P320. The striker fire mechanism, which I would argue is not true DAO, is a humongous enhancement compared to the P250. The pull and reset are drastically different. Where as the P250 is long in both aspects, the striker fired P320 is "similar" to the Glock and M&P, with just a generally smoother trigger pull (unlike the notchy pull you can find with many M&P that lack the performance center sear). It feels similar to the pull of a Steyr M9 series pistol. The reset is quite short and affirmative. I found that I shot the P320 much more accurately than my P250 due to trigger pull and reset alone. Follow up shots are much easier to place and again, I much prefer it over the P250.

In terms over overall designs, I will again favor the P320 and with its recent adoption by the DOD, I am sure aftermarket support will be coming through with large options for the platform. Also, resale will and has been proven to be far better with the P250.

Lastly, are you talking about Adventure Outdoors? If so, they dont give a crap about dry firing. Just don't field strip a pistol in front of them.

I own a P250 and have shot the P320 (not extensively). The frames are basically the same. Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the FCG is interchangeable between frames?? (P250 and P320)

The P250 is a hammer fired DAO. The pull is loooooooong and reset is looooong. My pull is pretty smooth, but target shooting will really test your trigger control techniques from the previously mentioned long trigger pull. The actual mechanism is very simple, yet it gets a horrid wrap due to possible reliability issues that have come up under some more rigorous testing. My personal P250 in 45acp has never failed me in the 500-ish rounds I have owned it, and I knew the previous owner who had put ALOT through it. It has cycled hollow points, semi-wad cutters, and regular ball ammo reliably. Grip ergonomics are virtually identical to the P320. It is very comfortable to hold and doesn't seem to have the same perceived high bore axis that some of the other tradition metal framed Sig pistols have.

All that said, buy the P320. The striker fire mechanism, which I would argue is not true DAO, is a humongous enhancement compared to the P250. The pull and reset are drastically different. Where as the P250 is long in both aspects, the striker fired P320 is "similar" to the Glock and M&P, with just a generally smoother trigger pull (unlike the notchy pull you can find with many M&P that lack the performance center sear). It feels similar to the pull of a Steyr M9 series pistol. The reset is quite short and affirmative. I found that I shot the P320 much more accurately than my P250 due to trigger pull and reset alone. Follow up shots are much easier to place and again, I much prefer it over the P250.

In terms over overall designs, I will again favor the P320 and with its recent adoption by the DOD, I am sure aftermarket support will be coming through with large options for the platform. Also, resale will and has been proven to be far better with the P250.

exactly the answer to the question I was looking for and couldn't find anywhere. Thank you very much sir. Also the Grip/frame part number for both weapons is exactly the same, as are the magazines (for the second gen 250 anyway, the first gen p250 actually used a different frame and magazine)

Lastly, are you talking about Adventure Outdoors? If so, they dont give a crap about dry firing. Just don't field strip a pistol in front of them.

And yes I was. Last time I dry fired a weapon in there to test the trigger (a springfield xd mod 2) I got read the riot act so I just don't fumble with triggers in there anymore.. I even cleared the gun and droped the mag first unlike the employee when he handed it to me :/ I mean, I know they handle the guns all day in there and he may have done it to that firearm recently.. but its standard safety protocol, if you put a weapon down (especially if you turn your back on it for any ammount of time) and pick it back up, you make damn sure its empty still[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

And yes I was. Last time I dry fired a weapon in there to test the trigger (a springfield xd mod 2) I got read the riot act so I just don't fumble with triggers in there anymore.. I even cleared the gun and droped the mag first unlike the employee when he handed it to me :/ I mean, I know they handle the guns all day in there and he may have done it to that firearm recently.. but its standard safety protocol, if you put a weapon down (especially if you turn your back on it for any ammount of time) and pick it back up, you make damn sure its empty still
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I can understand the dry firing issues with hammer mounted firing pins, 22lr, some shotguns, or older collectible firearms, but modern striker fired pistols? No way. Hell, when I first got into shooting, one of my friends who was formally an instructor taught dry fire techniques ALOT to those who were unable to find time and or money for proper range/live fire training.

I just picked up a P320 Compact last week. 490 rounds through it so far. No malfunctions.

A few notes: The trigger has a very nice break and reasonably short reset. I have smallish hands, so the medium size grip is a bit chunky for me. Small size grips are non-existent at the moment. The stock trigger is 7-8 lbs and a bit heavy for me, as I'm used to Apex triggers in my M&Ps that all fall around the 4.5lb mark. Apex makes a flat faced trigger shoe for the P320 that DOES NOT change the pull weight. Gray Guns makes a kit called the PELT that replaces the trigger shoe with your choice of a flat faced or curved trigger shoe. The PELT also replaces the trigger spring and reduces pull by about 1.5-2 lbs. Demand is high for the PELT and I'm on a waiting list. The gun is as accurate as anything else I've shot, to include HK, Walther, Glock, etc. and possibly a bit more accurate than my M&Ps.

Back
Top Bottom