• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Patience and nutrition is paying off!

Knarly antlers on that one buck !

Yep. I think he might be the same one I got a pic of when he had just started growing antlers this year. He was all messed up from fighting and is missing an eye.
1628087775133.png

1628087805239.png

Nice deer bear,people have to realize good nutrition will get you few more inches and mass,but it will not turn all your 120 inch bucks into 170’s. but if you can make your herd healthier it will benefit you down the road.

Nice deer bear,people have to realize good nutrition will get you few more inches and mass,but it will not turn all your 120 inch bucks into 170’s. but if you can make your herd healthier it will benefit you down the road.

Studies show it's about 20 inches at 4.5 years with the right nutrition. That's starting as fawns though.

Studies show it's about 20 inches at 4.5 years with the right nutrition. That's starting as fawns though.
Nutrition is important, but the number one thing that makes a buck big is age. I've passed on so many nice bucks in the last five years it's crazy. Each year I've raised the standard on what I will shoot and I haven't killed many deer, but it looks like this year just might be extraordinary.

Maybe.

I hear and see these types of things all the time when discussing deer hunting. The thought that always crossed my mind is, "if you don't care about antlers, and by all accounts, you can't eat them, then why shoot a buck at all? Plenty of does running around." But undoubtly that is the response you hear about the two-year old six pointer laying on the ground..... "you can't eat them horns anyway!" Just let him walk next time and shoot the does instead. Win-win for the meat hunters and the trophy hunters as the does taste better anyways. Just my opinion.
For me, it's always been this disconnect with why people are obsessed with game trophies. It couldn't have been until much further into our societal evolution that hunting ever became "sport." It was always, only about subsistence. Meat. Now, don't misunderstand, if you're hunting the Big Three in the Dark Continent and you want to put that up on your wall? Go for it. But you shot a 140lb herbivore from 15' up a pine tree over a pile of corn. Great White Hunter you are not.

For me, it's always been this disconnect with why people are obsessed with game trophies. It couldn't have been until much further into our societal evolution that hunting ever became "sport." It was always, only about subsistence. Meat. Now, don't misunderstand, if you're hunting the Big Three in the Dark Continent and you want to put that up on your wall? Go for it. But you shot a 140lb herbivore from 15' up a pine tree over a pile of corn. Great White Hunter you are not.
Well, I've done both, so I guess I'm covered.

BTW, it's Big Five, not Big Three.
Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Elephant and Cape Buffalo. (Three of them are herbivores and some of the most dangerous animals on Earth.)

I've seen Leopard and had close quarters standoffs with Rhino and Elephant (been chased by) while hunting Cape Buffalo. What have your experiences been like?

Lion
100_1193.jpg

100_1297.jpg

100_1147.jpg

Rhino
100_1358.jpg

Well, I've done both, so I guess I'm covered.

BTW, it's Big Five, not Big Three.
Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Elephant and Cape Buffalo. (Three of them are herbivores and some of the most dangerous animals on Earth.)

I've seen Leopard and had close quarters standoffs with Rhino and Elephant (been chased by) while hunting Cape Buffalo. What have your experiences been like?

Lion
View attachment 3390961

View attachment 3390967

View attachment 3390976

Rhino
View attachment 3390978
My experiences? I have very few. Looks like you have much more than most. Congratulations. I've read every one of Capstick's books and have always wanted to go on safari. Sadly, I'll never be able to afford it.

Back
Top Bottom