• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Patterning turkey guns

Is that pattern from 40 yards?
40 yards used to be the standard for patterning shotguns for waterfowl or turkey hunting,
but lately I see more and more people patterning at 25 yards.
I tried to do 40 yards with my Marlin 55, with its 28 inch fixed "full" choke, with two different kinds of birdshot loads, my "patterns" at 40 yds. were as big as a barn door. More than 40" wide !
The individual pellet strikes were a full inch or two apart from the nearest other pellet hole.
So, I'll have to consider my Marlin "almost a Goose Gun" to be, at most, a 30 yard gun if I want a clean kill with a dozen pellets hitting the bird's vitals.

Is that pattern from 40 yards?
40 yards used to be the standard for patterning shotguns for waterfowl or turkey hunting,
but lately I see more and more people patterning at 25 yards.
I tried to do 40 yards with my Marlin 55, with its 28 inch fixed "full" choke, with two different kinds of birdshot loads, my "patterns" at 40 yds. were as big as a barn door. More than 40" wide !
The individual pellet strikes were a full inch or two apart from the nearest other pellet hole.
So, I'll have to consider my Marlin "almost a Goose Gun" to be, at most, a 30 yard gun if I want a clean kill with a dozen pellets hitting the bird's vitals.
40 on the 835 and 30 on the .410. I refuse to shoot past that with the 410. I'm sure 40 would be no problem considering how good that pattern was but I would only shoot it at 30. The 835 I wouldn't hesitate to shoot up to 60.

Once I get my ff3 on the 20ga fine tuned it'll be a 40 yard gun as well.

40 on the 835 and 30 on the .410. I refuse to shoot past that with the 410. I'm sure 40 would be no problem considering how good that pattern was but I would only shoot it at 30. The 835 I wouldn't hesitate to shoot up to 60.

Once I get my ff3 fine tuned it'll be a 40 yard gun as well.
Yeah both the turkeys I shot last year were atleast 50+ yards. I shot one with hevi-13 #5s and the other with longbeard #5s

Any thoughts on patterns between 3” and 3-1/2 shells?
Same gun
same ammo. Other than one being 3” and other being 3-1/2”
Will these pattern the same?
Generally they are VERY similar as long as it's the same shot size and shell. 3.5 you will have a little more range with. Unless you're shooting 65 yards a 3 will do everything you need.

Generally they are VERY similar as long as it's the same shot size and shell. 3.5 you will have a little more range with. Unless you're shooting 65 yards a 3 will do everything you need.
Thanks. I’ve got 1 box of 3’s and bought a couple of 3.5’s because that’s all I could find. Don’t really plan on shooting the 3.5’s. Just curious about the pattern.

Thanks. I’ve got 1 box of 3’s and bought a couple of 3.5’s because that’s all I could find. Don’t really plan on shooting the 3.5’s. Just curious about the pattern.
Still a good idea to shoot both just to be sure. I always do a pattern at 20 and 40 and 60. So you take 6 shells and you can check both loads at 3 ranges and you're gtg.

Still a good idea to shoot both just to be sure. I always do a pattern at 20 and 40 and 60. So you take 6 shells and you can check both loads at 3 ranges and you're gtg.
I can barley stand to shoot the 3’s. Don’t even want to know how the 3.5’ kick. Picked them up for back up when I couldn’t find any 3’s
I’ve got some issues with my neck. I’m planning on having my 23 y/o son sight them in with the new red dot. I’ll get him to put a few of each through it.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom