• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Paul Allen's team finds Japanese carriers Kaga and Akagi near Midway Island

Stampede

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Just my rifle, my pony and me.
53   0
Reaction score
The crew aboard the late Paul G. Allen’s deep-sea research vessel, RV Petrel, has made some remarkable discoveries on the ocean floor in the South Pacific recently. They formally announced that they have found the Imperial Japanese aircraft carriers, Kaga and Akagi, that were sunk during the Battle of Midway in early June, 1942.

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-ne...craft-carriers-kaga-and-akagi-discovered.html

kaga.jpg

Rear Adm. Brian P Fort, commander, Naval Forces Japan, said in a statement, “On the occasion of the discovery of the Kaga, we send our thoughts and prayers to our trusted and valued friends in Japan. The terrible price of war in the Pacific was felt by all our navies. From that painful lesson, we have become the closest of allies and friends committed to maintaining a free and open Indo-Pacific.”

I think the Rear Adm.'s statement is out of line and in very poor taste. The sailors manning those Jap ships were our enemies and servants of a most despicable and murderous regime. It's interesting that the technology exists to locate these relics, but sentiments about "allies" need to be measured. No one that has any familiarity at all with FEPOWS would deny this.

Rear Adm. Brian P Fort, commander, Naval Forces Japan, said in a statement, “On the occasion of the discovery of the Kaga, we send our thoughts and prayers to our trusted and valued friends in Japan. The terrible price of war in the Pacific was felt by all our navies. From that painful lesson, we have become the closest of allies and friends committed to maintaining a free and open Indo-Pacific.”

I think the Rear Adm.'s statement is out of line and in very poor taste. The sailors manning those Jap ships were our enemies and servants of a most despicable and murderous regime. It's interesting that the technology exists to locate these relics, but sentiments about "allies" need to be measured. No one that has any familiarity at all with FEPOWS would deny this.

I agree with your sentiment but I think given the state of affairs since the war and our close relations with them throughout the cold war I can overlook it. We get along well with the Brits and we have had a war or two or two with them along the way as well.

Not Paul Allens bunch but another group just found a US Destroyer a few days ago.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...reck-wwii-destroyer-philippine-sea-180973474/

WOW .... I am amazed of how clean most of the metal was ! You are still able to see rifling in the cannon barrels! and read painted warnings on hand rails doors etc....

Eye opening to travel Germany and Japan, VERY few national flags flown in either country. Compare that to Merica, where thay are everywhere........

Back
Top Bottom