• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Paying for someone's gun?

75FF97B5-A73A-472C-BFC9-F3B2A3F368D6.jpeg
Is this person A, B or C ?

Easy for me... put the OP on my never do a deal list "cause something smells like dead fish" and if it smells that way today, imagine how it would stink if said weapon was ever used in a crime and you had to explain how you took cash from one guy then met and delivered it to a second guy, yet you really don't know why said guy couldn't just meet and buy it to start with, so obviously it was a fishy deal.

Would have broken down into succinct statements but that deal had me scrambling eggs in my head.

I got through one paragraph. Straw purchase.

There is no criminal code making a straw purchase illegal. Lying on fed form 4473 is. Since there is no form 4473 in a private firearm transaction, there is no crime committed in the state of georgia for buying a firearm for another person in a private transaction,as long as the person you are buying for is not known to you to be prohibited from owning a firearm
I don't know how many times i have heard someone say it is illegal to make a straw purchase. It is not. Also under the circumstances described you would be gifting a firearm which is legal even if you purchased from a ffl.

Easy for me... put the OP on my never do a deal list "cause something smells like dead fish" and if it smells that way today, imagine how it would stink if said weapon was ever used in a crime and you had to explain how you took cash from one guy then met and delivered it to a second guy, yet you really don't know why said guy couldn't just meet and buy it to start with, so obviously it was a fishy deal.

Would have broken down into succinct statements but that deal had me scrambling eggs in my head.
Another ODTer making up his own story ( OP does not take cash from one guy and give it to another)

LMAO there is no straw purchase here

A straw purchase is where one person is prohibited. The scenario above would never pass with my FFL. It isn’t illegal to buy someone else that isn’t prohibited a gun. I would NEVER do it. Give the person very dear to you the cash and let them handle their own purchase.

Boyfriend or girlfriend?

Conspiracy is what you will be charged with. It is a catch-all used by LEO if they think something hinky is going on, but not sure just which of the thousands of laws is the right one to file under. AKA, "tell it to the judge".
Conspiracy has to have a crime to go with it, ie conspiracy to commit murder, conspiracy to defraud, what would he be charged with conspiracy to make a legal firearm purchase?

Guilty of what?

Motives?

So the OP is going to be guilty of something, regardless whether he or the Mexican has possession of the firearm?

The Mexican? What Mexican ? If there is a Mexican involved in this ...... call the federales!!!!

I bet the non English speaker is Asian.....

In today's anti-gun hysteria, would you want to go in front of a judge with an ambitious DA trying to spin a story about how dangerous you are to the public by supplying guns to unknown people?

This is how people plead to a "lesser charge" so they do not end up owing 50,000 bucks to a lawyer in a drawn out criminal charge.

The question was is it legal, not whether it's something I'd do personally. As far as I can tell A is well known to B, so try not to introduce the same kind of misrepresentations the antis love to slip into their arguments.

Again, seems like nonsense to me, but we're discussing legality, not emotions.

Back
Top Bottom