• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Paying for someone's gun?

I was taught if it’s YOUR cash and you buy it for someone that’s a gift.

If that person gives you their cash and you go buy it, you bought it for them. Straw purchase (among other types of straw purchases)

You can buy firearms as gifts for other non-prohibited persons in GA.

That includes you paying with your money at the counter and filling out the 4473 then gifting to the individual in private, or you buying it and letting that individual pick up the weapon, private or through FFL.

That doesn’t include that individual giving you 300.00 of his own money for you to go transfer that weapon into your name and bring it to him. That’s not a gift, that’s a straw purchase.

And of course if you ever buy for someone you suspect or know is trying to circumvent the NICS process, or you know is prohibited, or going to use it for crime etc etc etc that makes it straw purchasing and other Crimes too.

That’s been my understanding
No I am not a lawyer

Was always told if it’s YOUR cash and you buy it for someone that’s a gift.

If that person gives you their cash and you go buy it, you bought it for them. Straw purchase (among other types of straw purchases)

You can buy firearms as gifts for other non-prohibited persons in GA.

That includes you paying with your money at the counter and filling out the 4473 then gifting to the individual in private, or you buying it and letting that individual pick up the weapon, private or through FFL.

That doesn’t include that individual giving you 300.00 of his own money for you to go transfer that weapon into your name and bring it to him. That’s not a gift, that’s a straw purchase.

And of course if you ever buy for someone you suspect or know is trying to circumvent the NICS process, or you know is prohibited, or going to use it for crime etc etc etc that makes it straw purchasing and other Crimes too.

That’s been my understanding
No I am now a lawyer
In OP scenario there no one is giving another person money to buy a gun

Back
Top Bottom