• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Payoff the Mortgage or Invest?

If I was years away from retirement, I believe I would make the same decision.... There are many economical and political uncertainties out there....

Having my home paid for is one certainty I do want in my life...

Ok so I've got to ask...you still have a mortgage but yet if you made the decision to accelerate your mortgage payments 15 or 20 years ago you may not have a mortgage today. Are you saying you would have done things differently back then based on what you know now?

I'm at that midpoint where I have as many years until retirement as I have been working. I've been working about 20 years and have 15 to 20 more to go.

Ok so I've got to ask...you still have a mortgage but yet if you made the decision to accelerate your mortgage payments 15 or 20 years ago you may not have a mortgage today. Are you saying you would have done things differently back then based on what you know now?

I'm at that midpoint where I have as many years until retirement as I have been working. I've been working about 20 years and have 15 to 20 more to go.

I moved to N GA upon retirement.... I built this home 2 1/2 years ago.... Almost paid off now...

And 20 years ago, other than a 401(k), I had very little savings and quite a bit of debt.....

I wish I knew then, what I know now.....

You have the good fortune of getting a lot of advice here... And based on what I am reading, from some very intelligent folks...

I moved to N GA upon retirement.... I built this home 2 1/2 years ago.... Almost paid off now...

And 20 years ago, other than a 401(k), I had very little savings and quite a bit of debt.....

I wish I knew then, what I know now.....

You have the good fortune of getting a lot of advice here... And based on what I am reading, from some very intelligent folks...
Yes I agree. Lot's of advice and lots to think about.

Ok folks give me an honest answer. For those of you that feel strongly about paying off the mortgage is it because you don't trust the stock market?
What do you mean by 'trust'? The market is simply (obviously) not guaranteed.
I have no mortgage. The majority of my assets are "in the market" in some fashion.

What do you mean by 'trust'? The market is simply (obviously) not guaranteed.
I have no mortgage. The majority of my assets are "in the market" in some fashion.
Ok I'll substitute "have faith" for "trust". Do you have faith in the market and if not why? Have you gotten burned by the market and are you worse off today because you invested in the market at some point in the past?

Congrats on paying off the mortgage by the way.

Back
Top Bottom