• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pellet Smokers

JBob44

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
48   0
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Pit Boss Austin XL about a month ago and have used it about 8-10 times so far. I've done ribs, whole chickens, wings, sausage and a few steaks(reverse sear). This smoker has minor temp swings but is really nothing to be concerned with. I run a secondary grate temp and meat probe anyways. It seems to be pretty efficient on pellets. I done about 30-40 hours of run time on a 40lb bag of pellets. Everything I've done has come out great and Id like to start doing some higher dollar meats. Does anybody have any good recipes for Prime Rib, Brisket, whole filets? Still new to pellet smokers so any advice would be appreciated. Also looking for some low country boil recipes. Thanks.
IMG_5221.jpg

I recently purchased a Pit Boss Austin XL about a month ago and have used it about 8-10 times so far. I've done ribs, whole chickens, wings, sausage and a few steaks(reverse sear). This smoker has minor temp swings but is really nothing to be concerned with. I run a secondary grate temp and meat probe anyways. It seems to be pretty efficient on pellets. I done about 30-40 hours of run time on a 40lb bag of pellets. Everything I've done has come out great and Id like to start doing some higher dollar meats. Does anybody have any good recipes for Prime Rib, Brisket, whole filets? Still new to pellet smokers so any advice would be appreciated. Also looking for some low country boil recipes. Thanks. View attachment 2010524

Go to the Traeger web site and click on the recipe section. It even suggest the pellet flavors

Been looking at pellet grills but I read that it takes as long as 30 minutes for some of them to get up to steak-searing temps. That’s kind of a no-go for me. 10-15 minutes max to get up to 600+ would be nice. How long does yours take?

We've recently bought a Rec-Tec. They're based out of Augusta, so we made the drive over to check them out (of course, you don't have to do that, they ship). Super nice folks that threw in a bunch of swag and extras.

We've done 2 cooks on it so far, a butt and some ribeyes, and both turned out fantastic. We haven't got to experiment much with it yet due to bad weather and travel, but so far it's been great.

We had a Big Green Egg before this. It cooked wonderful, but babysitting the temp got kinda old. With a pellet smoker, you set the temp and let it ride.

We've recently bought a Rec-Tec. They're based out of Augusta, so we made the drive over to check them out (of course, you don't have to do that, they ship). Super nice folks that threw in a bunch of swag and extras.

We've done 2 cooks on it so far, a butt and some ribeyes, and both turned out fantastic. We haven't got to experiment much with it yet due to bad weather and travel, but so far it's been great.

We had a Big Green Egg before this. It cooked wonderful, but babysitting the temp got kinda old. With a pellet smoker, you set the temp and let it ride.
Agreed DD Love the RecTec as DD said super folks and great qua;ity work with these smokers. You can go on they're web and get some great recipes.

20190101_183019.jpg
I use my RecTec a lot. Quick and easy chicken one. Take a spatchcock chicken (fancy way of saying cut out the back bone with kitchen shears and mash flat) and season it on bone side and then put it on the grill. Spray a quick shot of cooking spray on the top and season it well. Cook for 4 hours at 260 and enjoy some really moist chicken that everyone will rave about. Makes a nice presentation for serving. I did 6 the other day and gave the neighbors a couple since Sam's had them for about $3.50 a bird

Been looking at pellet grills but I read that it takes as long as 30 minutes for some of them to get up to steak-searing temps. That’s kind of a no-go for me. 10-15 minutes max to get up to 600+ would be nice. How long does yours take?
The start up takes about 3 minutes for the pellets to catch fire and I then turn to 450 degrees per the start up instructions. Within 10-15 minutes it is at 450. I have not had a need to go above 450, but I will try wehn I get it out probably tmro and let you know.

About 5 months ago I bought a bag of Applewood pellets to use in my electric smoker. I really like them. They create good smoke and seem to completely consume themselves. A lot of times the chips wouldn't do that. I've smoked both ham and bacon with them. It's turned out very well. I'm going to get some hickory pellets and try it on some butts.

Pellet grills typicialy only get to 450 degrees. If you need higher temps get a green egg they go to 600 plus. Or do a reverse sear on the pellet grill. Reverse sear is easy using a cast iron skillet on the grill

Back
Top Bottom