• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pellets Vs Charcoal, Wood, Gas,

RiverBend

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Proud Southern, Christian
362   0
Reaction score
Are the pellet grill things, that much different/better than charcoal/wood/gas grilling, or it is more convenience and less mess?
If convenience, how does costs compare, grill, fuel, ?
Trying to decide on a replacement grill for my old Char Broil Gas.

Are the pellet grill things, that much different/better than charcoal/wood/gas grilling, or it is more convenience and less mess?

Convenience, more flavor (althought that also depends on your gas grilling methods), and theoretically, lower cost.

Charcoal is the most expensive fuel. Then propane. Then pellets. However, pellet grills are generally expensive enough that it takes a lot of grilling to offset the grill cost vs. propane.

Whatever you buy, I highly recommend adding a set of GrillGrates. Best grilling improvement I've ever experienced. Turned our Weber propane gas grill into the favorite cooking method in our household, and it's really hard to mess up and not get great tasting, tender meat. I'll never buy another grill without getting a set of them.

Have to say pellet for sure. I have all the grills, Weber Smokey Mountain (charcoal/wood smoker, Weber charcoal, Weber gas, and RecTec pellet. Smokey mountain is good but you have to constantly monitor, add wood and charcoal for long cooks whereas the pellet you load pellets, set the temp, and forget about it. Has app where you can monitor temps, adjust temps, turn it on/off from wherever you are. Pellet grill cost more and maybe a little more in fuel but we’ll makes up for it. I’ve had my pellet grill for almost 3yrs and hardly ever use the others. Next grill is a blackstone griddle.

curious, what benefit did they serve, pricey, so had to ask.

Pretty much everything advertised on their web site.

Flameups are completely tamed. A great sear is really easy to get. The real gem of the setup is the juiciness and flavor. Instead of dripping juices directly onto the burners or heat tents, several inches below a traditional grate, the juice hits the valleys in the GrillGrates, vaporizes, and works back into the food just above. It's the same idea as the heat tents as flavorizer bars, except with the GrillGrates, the juices vaporize a 1/2" away from the food, so the intensity is much stronger. Pays off in spades for every type of food we've tried. Moist and flavorfull. We're completely hooked on them.

If you asked me to cook on a $1000, high end grill with regular grates, or a $200 big box store grill with GrillGrates, I'd choose the latter every time, and the results would be way better.

Have to say pellet for sure. I have all the grills, Weber Smokey Mountain (charcoal/wood smoker, Weber charcoal, Weber gas, and RecTec pellet. Smokey mountain is good but you have to constantly monitor, add wood and charcoal for long cooks whereas the pellet you load pellets, set the temp, and forget about it. Has app where you can monitor temps, adjust temps, turn it on/off from wherever you are. Pellet grill cost more and maybe a little more in fuel but we’ll makes up for it. I’ve had my pellet grill for almost 3yrs and hardly ever use the others. Next grill is a blackstone griddle.
Can’t wait to meet them grills of yours…. Hahahahaha….. :boink: :behindsofa:

Pellet... I too have or have had them all. So much less work to get great food. I never thought I'd cook on anything else after I got my Big Green Egg 11-12 years ago. Bought a RECTEC back last November and only cooked on the Egg once since.
I bought the Grill Grates right off the bat because of the RECTEC sales guy's recommendation and he was spot on. Another worthwhile investment. Does a killer thick ass pork chop...steak...grillled asparagus ...grilled chicken...mushrooms...kabobs... you name it!
And, after reading what others have said about the Blackstone Griddle I decided to give one of those room in the cooking stable.

tempImagejAdzpd.png
tempImagejB5QSQ.png

If you're moving from a gas grill, I'd highly recommend a pellet, as they are fast startup and rapidly stabilize to the temp you set.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom