• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Permeable driveway with plastic grid.

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
Do any of you have any experience with this product (any brand) Comes with a 25 year warranty which is 25 years after I will be gone.
1649893748039.png

Do any of you have any experience with this product (any brand) Comes with a 25 year warranty which is 25 years after I will be gone.
View attachment 4185822

I used this stuff for a parking lot at a Condo Development I did about 10 years ago. It is quite expensive compared to asphalt or even concrete and can't really handle heavy weight traffic on it (like a dump truck or trash truck). With a fair bit of traffic it will eventually compress and fill in so that it is not as "permeable" as it is in the specs. Also, if you run a track vehicle (track hoe for example) over it it and try to make any kind of turn, it will rip it up and will be a pain in the ass (and expensive) to repair. I only used it to reduce the impervious surface on for the development to meet local requirements. Otherwise I would not have even considered using it.

halo696 halo696 ,@hikingthills Did you put down a base of gravel underneath the grid.

I just want to make a parking pad next to concrete driveway to get around county parking in the yard issues. i can't just put gravel down, it has to be "retained". I've ;looked it over, and I think me and a couple of undocumented guest workers could knock this out cheaper than concrete or asphalt. Based on my experience with siding, everyone is a contractor, and i don't know that I could get someone to do the little bit of work I need.

Trying to fix up house to sell, want something is (a) cheap (B) looks decent. "Permeable" should appeal to tree huggers in Athens.

Thanks for the input.

halo696 halo696 ,@hikingthills Did you put down a base of gravel underneath the grid.

I just want to make a parking pad next to concrete driveway to get around county parking in the yard issues. i can't just put gravel down, it has to be "retained". I've ;looked it over, and I think me and a couple of undocumented guest workers could knock this out cheaper than concrete or asphalt. Based on my experience with siding, everyone is a contractor, and i don't know that I could get someone to do the little bit of work I need.

Trying to fix up house to sell, want something is (a) cheap (B) looks decent. "Permeable" should appeal to tree huggers in Athens.

Thanks for the input.
I didn’t personally do it but if I recall correctly they dug it out, put down gravel, put down crush and run, pounded it down, put the grid down and then the slate chips. It may have been a little over built but I wanted to make sure it didn’t sink if the trucks were parked on it for an extended period of time. 6 plus months and zero issues so far.

We’ve used it. Easy enough to install with a bobcat. For lower cost and ease of installation it’s decent, especially for your purposes. The difference over using just fabric and stone is your tires won’t sink and it will minimize the loss of gravel. Over time it can clog up with organic material, but a decent product.

Back
Top Bottom