• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Persimmons for deer

pipewrench

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Ice cream assassin
145   0
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck hunting around persimmon trees?
I've heard deer eat them, but don't have any on my property. To be honest I don't know if I've ever even seen persimmons in the woods before.

I want to plant some trees where I deer hunt for the deer and myself to enjoy. Anyone have any input/stories/advice?

Burgess has tress for $4.99 each in their catalog.

If you have a producing persimmon tree, I 100% promise you, deer WILL check it, frequently (so will coyotes and opossums). If you want to plant one, make sure it is in full sun. You should plant a native (vs Japanese) if your primary interest is wildlife.
You may find this thread useful. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/got-any-persimmon-trees.994610/

Thanks LSU. That was an oustanding thread. I've read I need to plant multiple trees for pollination.
How many exactly to make sure I have both male and female? How far apart and will native/jap trees pollinate each other?

Thanks LSU. That was an oustanding thread. I've read I need to plant multiple trees for pollination.
How many exactly to make sure I have both male and female? How far apart and will native/jap trees pollinate each other?
You don't "have to" plant several but it won't hurt and in theory can help. A lone female tree most anywhere in Georgia I promise you will get pollinated. One male tree can pollinate SEVERAL female trees. If you buy from a nursery, they "should" sell you sexed trees, meaning, females. Ask the specific question when you order to have them on record.
The trees can get pretty big. I'd give them 15+ feet. No need to compete for water/nutrients if they don't need to. Having said that, I have some wild ones growing literally inches from each other. But they do seem to stress a lot easier. They seem to be fairly sensitive so use herbicides with caution.

I have a big persimmon next to the road (along fence line) it was loaded this last year. I backed the truck under it and picked a few for my own consumption.

So good, yes I think everything loves them (wildlife wise)

Deer love them as everyone has said. I couldn't figure out what the tree in front of one of my stands was with the "little apples" on it. Good thing I didn't cut it down clear trails because it is a persimmon tree. Now, if it could move the wild crab apples I would be set.

Back
Top Bottom