• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pet Loads For 308/178 Hornady ELD Match

Remmy

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
20   0
Reaction score
Anybody shooting these with good success? I shot the 168's and 178's {factory loads} and both shot under 1/2 inch at 100 yards.
I loaded up some 178's with varget from 42 to 43.2 grains at 20 thou off in .4 GR increments with no success.Didn't have time to set up chrono.

if the factory loads were shooting that bullet that well...I would invest in a chronograph. try to match velocities. What sort of brass prep are you doing for your reloads? OAL? I would try to match that as well to ammo that was shooting .5moa.

That is pretty fast for a 308, 178grain. If that is the speed your gun likes, and it is a good quality solid gun, I would go right to 45 grains of Varget with new or once fired brass, and use the same COAL as the factory stuff that worked with that bullet.

I pulled one of the factory loads and put the powder on the scales and it weighted 42.5GRS. It looked like varget but you really can't tell what the factory really uses.
It is a solid custom gun with a match grade Brux barrel on it. The factory loads said 2600 FPS on the box but I chronoed them at 2718. This barrel is shooting a little fast.
Why do you say go straight to 45GRS?

45 is the max load recommended by the Hodgdon web site, and it does not exceed 2700fps in their 24inch test barrel. The factory ammo you chronographed did exceed 2700. So, I surmise that your gun needs a full power load to shoot well.

Most factory ammo is loaded for a jump to the rifling, but every gun I have owned has shot tighter groups when loaded into the lands, and with no added crimp. But, some people have reported better results with a bullet jump. Some people get no difference with a jump or into the lands-a shooting buddies Kimber shoots the same either way. It is kind of a mystery to me.

I think you should first try to duplicate the factory load that works the best for you and then fine tune it. Most rifle data that I have gathered indicates that, unlike pistol ammo, it is generally loaded near full power. So, I would start at the upper end of the recommended load data in an effort to match the factory ammo you have used. Then, fine tune the load by increasing or decreasing the powder charge until the best group is attained. Just watch for signs of over pressure.

yeah, I would try to work up to 2700 fps, I would personally start at 44gr varget and go .5gr jumps...shoot for velocity and accuracy. I bet the chamber on the brux is tight and oh so nice to be pushing those velocities. In for results.

My shillen barreled .308 seems to like to push 175gr projectiles, damn near any variety, @2650 fps into .5moa or less groups IF i do my part. the 2650fps seems to be the most consistent variable for accuracy in my rifle for a 175gr pill. i usually load just off the lands, 2-3 thou.

Back
Top Bottom