• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Petition to help The Complete Combatant Firing Range in Lumpkin County stay open for live fire

This facility (The Complete Combatant - TCC) is literally right down the street from me. I have watched them grow from a barely cleared out area to a beautiful and functional campus, with a nice pavilion for classes, a very nice multistation firing line - now covered. Today, I got an email from a friend in Virginia about this place (TCC) and their plight. Virginia. A tad bit aways! The email described the situation and had a link to the petition. I wrote my friend back and told him how close I live to TCC and had read in our local weekly paper, The Dahlonega Nugget, about the 'neighbor' complaining about the facility being on land zoned for agriculture. I signed the petition. I then got an email from TCC, thanking me for signing the petition and urging me to attend the Public Hearing in September (which I plan on doing.) I also sent an email to the County contact person (with a BCC to TCC). My point to the County is that there is a need to teach folks gun safety. We live in the boonies. I have had a pistol/rifle range on my property, my neighbors pop rounds off (usually Sunday evenings for an hour or so.) It is what we do. I also suggested to TCC that since they are zoned agricultural, plant a row of corn (or other crop) and then show folks how to protect the crop from two and four legged varmints.

In Michigan, there is a law that says an existing range cannot be shut down because people bought or built a house nearby.
It's come in handy a few times. Maybe with all of the urban sprawl happening in this state, there's a need for this law here.
Does anyone know any elected state reps or senators who could be talked into writing something up for the next legislative assembly?

There actually IS such a law on the books in Georgia, but some County Commissions routinely ignore it--The Spalding County Commission ROYALLY SCREWED the Cherokee Rose Sporting Clays facility quite a few years ago and the Owner spent tens of thousands of dollars on Lawyers, all to no avail--Remember, the County will be spending YOUR MONEY to defend whatever screwy decisions your elected officials make, while YOU hafta' spend YOUR MONEY to fight 'em--You almost literally can't outspend "City Hall" on an issue like this...

This isn’t the first time Lumpkin County pulled these shenanigans. They did the same thing to Etowah Valley Sporting Clays who ended up taking the county to court.

Signed. At the courthouse tell them the music of marksmanship is the song of the American people. Maybe offer to police tape off a 10th of an acre as a safe space for your offended neighbors so they can have somewhere to go and be upset? In all seriousness, it's most likely 1 or 2 jerks that got others on board by being the squeaky wheel. Take note of the main spokesman at the hearing. Or the guy whispering in the spokespersons ear. He/she is going to be the issue.

Might not be allowed but I saw in the info a GoFundMe.

Might be helpful to contribute to their plans to build out additional sound barriers to keep the peace with their neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom